Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 iroc/manual. When you get in to start it nothing happens. Every thing comes on but the starter won't turn the motor. almost like there is no power to it. Tried to push start it with no luck. I think it is the nuetral safty switch but wouldn't it start when push starting.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IROCowner, first, a little troubleshooting is in order, you will need someone to help, get a voltmeter, have your helper turn the key to the start position and see if there is current at the small wire on the starter and while the switch is on, check to see if there is current at the + connector on the coil. If you don't have current at these places, you may have an ignition switch problem. Check these out and repost.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
the bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the car in the shop. But I've been checking up on them from time to time. They've had me take another ignition key to make sure its not the sercurity thing. They say its not the switch behind the clutch because it isn't getting power. So there checking every thing back from the switch. I checked all the fuses I didn't see any thing. But if you have any other ideas please post them.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should have 2 or 3 fuseable links on the small wires by the starter if one of these goes bad what you are describing will happen.I had a 86 IROC and that is what happened to mine when it would not start.They should all be checked good because if the wire has burnt half through it may not let enough current pass through to start or turn over the car.Hope this helps. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IROCowner:
I put the car in the shop. But I've been checking up on them from time to time. They've had me take another ignition key to make sure its not the sercurity thing. They say its not the switch behind the clutch because it isn't getting power. So there checking every thing back from the switch. I checked all the fuses I didn't see any thing. But if you have any other ideas please post them.

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts