Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 72 Camaro that will not shut off. It seems like the the igition is always on,even with the key in the off position. Here are the current problems.
-The accessory jack has power.
-The brake light is on as if the ignition was still on.
-Car will not shutoff after I start it.(Had to pull the hot wire off of the ditributor to kill it).
I have already replaced the ignition switch. This car was in an accident prior to me buying it. One other problem is that this car originally had a points distributor, but there was no resistor for me to bypass. The hot wire for the distributor was teed into a red and orange wire that were spliced together.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Did you recently install an MSD type module? If so you may have electricity back feeding through the voltage regulator to the alternator. If this is the case you might try installing a diode between the regulator and alternator which will stop the backfeed.

Car Craft Magazine has an article on this fix in their current issue (Ramjet 350 article).

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I have is an HEI with an Accel coil. The motor prior to this one was stock with points and canister coil. But the resistor was non existant when I installed this engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the first time I have started the car since I bought it. The car was in a wreck prior to me buying it so the front clip was not there. Also there was not battery.

Is it possible that the wires on the starter are wrong?

I replaced them the same way that I removed them.

I will try looking at the scematic in the old haynes manual but as of now. I still do not know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the wiring is clean. No splices except for the one which goes to the distributor. This is the orange and red wires spliced with a tee going off to the distributor hot wire.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am in suspect of your splice.

If you have voltage at the distributor when the key is off, the wiring is hooked to the batt wiring which is not switched by the key.

YOu could be hooked into the charging circuit as well.

It still smacks of a wrong terminal on the ignition switch block also. Make sure the feed on the switch and the ignition are not reversed.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts