Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance but my '68 Camaro wont turn over. It never had a problem before and the last time I started it, it was a few days ago. It was sorta cold this morning (45 degrees) so that might have something to do with it. It was trying to turn over but after about 10 tries, it started to get slower and slower and eventually couldnt move anything, so maybe the battery slowly ran out of juice?

I heard it fire once but it wasnt enough to get it going. It is a new Crate 350 engine.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Yeah the battery is dead. You may have flooded it or did something slightly different in the way you started it, and since it was cold, it might have not wanted to start easily. If the battery had lasted longer, you may have got it started.

One thing for sure, batteries don't like to be deeply discharged. Every time you kill a battery, it's lifetime is shortened slightly. If the battery is more than three years old, especially if it's a cheapo battery, you might want to get new one.

Also, when you get the car running, connect a voltmeter to the battery and see if you have 13.5-14.5 volts to see if it's charging good.

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah..I might have flooded it. Just wait until the gas evaporates?

I dont have a choke for the car. Is there anyway to remedy this situation?

Again, I am just learning about cars....

Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
You may have an electric operated choke on it. When looking down into the carb ( with the air cleaner off ) there is probably 4 holes, two of the holes may have a "flapper" over the very top of the carb which "choke" the car. There may be a round cylinderical black object mounted on the side of the carb indicating the presance of a electric or heat activated choke that has linkage rods that go to that flapper.

When a car is flooded, the spark plugs will become fouled, and basicly will not spark. Not a good thing when you need those magic ingredients to make a motor run, AIR, SPARK, FUEL...

Have you ever changed a spark plug?? If you need to get it started in a hurry you could remove the spark plugs and get them cleaned up and dryed off, and reinstall. Im not sure how long you would have to wait if youve flooded it though.. depends on temp, humidity,, etc.... If they are really fouled up bad, it may be a while.

In any case youll need to get the battery situation addressed first, or get a jump start.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
old batteries suck in the cold...(new england experience talking...lol) batteries that sit for long periods of time get whats known as sulfation...this is where sulfer builds up on the plates in the lead acid battery, and prevent the lead from making contact with the acid...this creates less cca(cold cranking amps) and the battery dies much faster...this is especially noticeable during the cold months, as engines take much more power to turn over in cold weather...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.