Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock 350 from an el camino
2 barrel carb
Engine was starting easily all winter, summer comes along and now I have trouble starting the car. It just turns over. When I check, the choke is half cosed. When I close the choke, the car starts right up. Can someone tell me the correct starting procedure? Should I step on the gas, let off, and start. Should I step on the gas, hold it down and start. Should my choke close all the way

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
Cold engine, step on pedal to full throttle and release pedal.
Choke plate should be closed.
Start engine and choke pull-off should allow choke plate to open for engine to smooth out running at a fast idle, 1200-1400 rpm.
A minute later maybe, the tap throttle to release/lower fast idle cam, engine will idle down some.
Once engine reaches operating temp, engine should be idling at curb idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The choke should fully close at any ambient temperature below about 70 degrees. It will partially close at temperatures higher than that.

Before starting any carbureted car, you need to tickle--and RELEASE--the gas pedal. The choke cannot fully close unless you open the throttle at least a little bit, to allow the fast idle cam to rotate. The accelerator pump adds a squirt of fuel to the intake manifold which also aids starting--but--DON'T overdo it. You don't have to pump the pedal all the way down when the temperature is moderate--start with about 1/4 of the pedal travel. Don't HOLD the gas pedal down unless you're CERTAIN the engine is flooded--then put the pedal to the carpet and crank the engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend told me to take the pedal to the floor once, then "tickle the pedal slightly. I have started the car 3 times since Friday and it has started good all 3 times when I do that. i do know that my choke is not closing 100% when the temp is >80 deg. I assume that is normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts