Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a carb. spacer on a edelbrock rpm air gap? If so how tall, four hole or open? I've seen alot of different posts about this & wanted to get some input from you guy's. My car is a 79 Z-28 with a 383, Dart pro 1 Platinum 200cc heads, Comp roller cam. I think without looking 510 IN. 540 EX. lift. 410 gears. b&m holeshot 10" 3000 converter. Quick Fuel 750 super street carb. with annular boosters.Compression is 9.9-1 The reason for wanting to do this is Basically for another vacuum fitting for pcv to go to. No room for fitting under carb. without spacer. I did tee off the port on the back of the carb. and ran the power brake hose and the pcv. together. I was putting in an msd box and when I took off the dist. cap found alot of oil in the HEI. I'm thinking that I'm building crankcase pressure by not having a good enough vacuum source for pcv. by combining it with the brakes. Any thoughs or opinion's would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Oil in the HEI.

I use a gutted HEI to prelube. It gets oil up into the housing area. I figure it's from wore out bushings and a lack of a seal... On my old gutted one that leaks on a down engine anyway.

Carb spacer for vac port. On one of my RPM Air Gap's I've done that, it's an open 3/4" spacer I think. I'm with you, I don't like to tee PCV and booster either. Brakes would be my primary why.

You can drill and tap more holes in those spacers if you need more ports.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
edelbrock sells an adapter that will work with ther thick gasket. I originally used it on my 69z. the secondary pump hits the fitting wothout anything at all.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I got my phenolic spacer from Canton Racing. They sell many different thicknesses. Open hole and 4 hole as well. I used mine because my Edelbrock would suffer from heat soak. Once I installed their spacer, that is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's for all the input I think I'm going to try as small of a spacer as possible to clear the low profile 90 deg fitting as possible. I think a 1/2" will just clear. as for the oil in HEI I think that it has to be bad internal seal or worn bushing, Which is odd being that it's a new procomp I bought for this new eng. probably around 150 miles on it. well I put my old one in to see if that's the problem. will find out this weekend. Thanks again everybody........

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used mine because my Edelbrock would suffer from heat soak. Once I installed their spacer, that is a thing of the past.
2nd that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts