Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new ZZ4 dropped into my 69 Z and would like to bolt on a new carb, but have 2 questions.

1. Which carb works with this motor and allows me to use the factory cowl induction air cleaner assembly?
2. What size carb (650? 750?). I was surprised to see the GM turnkey motor have a Holley 770 on it.

Ready to hit the road after this and 2 years of resto! Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just had a new ZZ4 dropped into my 69 Z and would like to bolt on a new carb, but have 2 questions.

1. Which carb works with this motor and allows me to use the factory cowl induction air cleaner assembly?
2. What size carb (650? 750?). I was surprised to see the GM turnkey motor have a Holley 770 on it.

Ready to hit the road after this and 2 years of resto! Thanks for all your help.
I'd go 750 quadrajet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i have a mild 350 in my 68 and im running a holley 650 double pumper and the motor loves it alot.i tried a edelbrock 600 and 750 and it didnt run as good as with the double pump.:yes:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
My zz4 with etecs and the GM hot roller cam thinks a 650 4777-7 is pretty friggin neat. Makes much more power with my Race Demon 775 RS on it though. Mucho mas. The Demon is set up for my 412 and the little 350 gets pissed at it when it's cold sometimes but not since I fattened all 4 idle jets a little. The 650dp runs it sweet as hell, no soft spots, idles a lot better.

I like qjets, and don't they sit a little lower? Love the sound when you dump the 4 bbls on a qjet.

Sorry, not familiar with the 770 Holley avenger yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would run the 770 if it worked. Spend that money on something else if you want to go faster. Im sure I could find something else for 400 bucks that would make the car perform better. Thats just me but if i had the extra money i would rather have a different carb. Enjoy the new engine!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
This thread is discussing two different types of carbs. The Q-Jet (and the Edelbrock?) are spread bore carbs. The Holley carbs are square bore. Each require a different intake manifold. I'd figure out what type of intake you have and use a carb that works with it. I'm not a big fan of adaptors to make square bores fit on spread bore manifolds and visa versa.

That said, if you go square bore, I'd stay below 700cfm if you want to avoid major tuning and performance headaches. If you go spread bore, put a 750 on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased the motor without a carb in the standard package. It still has the ZZ4 intake on it. Sorry to ask a dumb question, but is it a spread bore?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Square bore means all four holes are the same size. Spread bore means the front two (primary) bores are smaller than the back two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts