Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with my carburetor. I still have the stock 2 barrel (unfortunatly), and when I start my car it will run for at least 5 min before it dies. As long as you rev it every once and a while it'll stay running. Plus if you give it some gas before you turn it over gas will leak right under the throttle linkage. People have told me it's the floater level, but I don't know how to adjust it and I would like to know anyone elses opinion on that before I screw with it and won't be able to start it again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The two barrell is the best carb to learn on.Take a chance and go to about any local parts house and get a rebuild kit and take the thing off and rebuild it.Everything comes in the kit even a gauge to set the float level.My first rebuild was on a two barrell many years ago and it went fine and belive me if I can do it im sure you can.Just take your time and ( READ AND RE READ )before you know it you will have a big ol fat holley scattered all over your work bench.

·
10,164 Posts
Crack open the throttle about a quarter inch and move the throttle arm on the carb up and down, left and right.
If it moves a lot your throttle shaft is worn.
This can cause a vaccum leak at idle. Usually the shaft is pushed to one side when at idle and can leak a lot of air but it will be a little different leak each time you close the throttle.
This will cause an erattic idle speed.

IF the throttle shaft is shot, usually some of the wear is on the shaft and the rest is the carb body.
The carb kits don't replace the throttle shaft components. You will either have to send it away to get it fixed or replace the carb.
Don't get too excited about the throttle shaft deal. If your idle doesn't change after blipping the throttle, it's probably O.K.

If you can't decide yourself, take it to a shop and ask them if it looks bad.

Also try spraying the carb with a can of carb cleaner. Remove the mixture screws and spray carb cleaner in the screw holes to clean out the idle circut. Spray inside where the air bleeds are too.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
98 Posts
A choke adjustment perhaps? Throttle shaft leaking nothwithstanding, I'd dump the $7-10 on a carb kit. These aren;t that hard, and the rebuild kit will come with all the measurements and specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts