Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a CarDefender system in their Camaro? It looks pretty cool.

I want a security system on the car, but I don’t want an alarm system. I like the idea of the CarDefender system because it disables the car. You need to have a key fob to enable the car (tied into the coil or fuel pump, etc.). The system uses a transponder key and a hidden transceiver. You have to place the transponder key near the transceiver before you can start the engine.

http://www.cardefender.com/

I’m thinking I could hide the transceiver in the console. That way, my wife wouldn’t even know how to start the car.

I know a thief could get it if they really wanted it, but it’s better than nothing.

Are there any other similar security systems? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
yes it is fine if you worried about wife or kid driving car and putting it back in garage without you knowing. but a thief wil run a clip to dizzy and to battery and jump the starter with a screw driver and drive away.that system wont tell you car is moving. lo jack got 2 systems. when you find car missing than you report it. other is when car mising report it but also tells you when car is moving it sends you a signal to your key pad.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you don't want an alarm, there are plenty of ways to secure; i.e., prevent the car from starting easy for $10 in parts.

A heavy SPST relay in series with the neutral safety circuit, coil supply, etc.
The energizing coil on the relay could be triggered by a momentary pushbutton hidden, or two pushbuttons in series in different locations hidden, by a radio pushbutton, turnsignal lever, fan switch, the possibilities are endless. It would slow a pro thief down a bit.

I installed an alarm myself, b/c I wanted auto door locks, trunk pop and I have an empty channel on the remote that I will wire to my RS light motors for grins.

Whatever direction you take I recommend sticking with the starter circuit. The coil or fuel pump could leave you in a bad situation if it wacked out at 70 mph, or at another critical time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts