Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the exact size of the cut out for a 4 Speed Shifter on a non-console '69 Camaro? I have the correct GM shifter boot (original and a replacement) and the chrome trim ring.

Too late now but I should have measured the original carpet.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Too many variables for an "exact" measurement. Lay the carpet with the shifter handle removed and mark it from underneath.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Just fit the boot and ring over the shifter and align so it looks right. Mark the outer diameter of the ring with chalk and remove the boot/ring. Replace the ring without the boot and align with the chalk marks. Mark the inner diameter of the ring with chalk and the remove the ring. Trim the carpet to fit under the ring while not letting it hang into the boot area to far. The trimming will be covered by the boot/ring at final installation.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Too many variables for an "exact" measurement. Lay the carpet with the shifter handle removed and mark it from underneath.

Its easier after removing the shifter handle, feel where the shifter hole is and cut a X about 1" each way. Put the shifter back in, then the rug, place the trim ring and cut 1 " less all the way around. I don't like getting under if I don't have to :) like to yank my 12 bolt 411 posi rear to weld a cracked tube :(

Kev

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Since the shifter handle is a PITA to remove, I just folded the carpet in half, and aligned the left side. (I used the dimmer switch hole as a starting point) Then cut a small X in the right spot, and insert the carpet over the handle. Final alignment by cutting a little on the carpet to allow it to slide in the necessary direction until you get everything the way you want it. Then final cut slightly larger than the inside of the trim ring.

Remember, on originals, the rear of the front carpet touched the front feet of the seat brackets.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i did the same.. guess where it should be and then cut a very small hole to begin with....enlarge the hole as you feel necessary..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts