Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please shed some light on the three different Door Sill Plates that Ricks has to offer??

IN-33 Original GM $61.95
IN-70 Superior quality repro $22.95
IN-76 Show quality repro, with rivets $23.95

it says the the show quality reproduction includes tiny emblem rivets as original. now my question is why would the original gm ones not come with these tiny rivets if they are infact original.? im trying to decide which ones to purchase!

thanks in advance

Terry

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Terry...

The original should have the rivets.

IN-33 Original GM $61.95 (Original riveted emblem)
IN-70 Superior quality repro $22.95 (Aftermarket with stick on emblem)
IN-76 Show quality repro, with rivets $23.95 9 (Aftermarket with rivets)

Kev

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It should say replacement GM cause they don't have the rivets only the repops ones have them was my understanding.

There was guy on ebay taking the GM replacements and putting rivets on em.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I just bought some of the repro sill plates with the riveted Fisher Body emblem for $21.00 at National. They look better than the originals....more shiny. The only difference is they are slightly thinner than the originals. For that price, it's worth it. I figure the originals, if they get damaged (usually due to closing the seat belt in the door) are much more to replace. With the repros, they are only 1/3 of the cost.

I also believe the "Originals" are really just replacements and the Fisher emblem (Sticker) does not come with the sill plate, but must be purchased separately.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Terry, the NOS GM sill plates floating around now do not have rivets. I don't know when GM stopped riveting on the Fisher body tags, but while the new ones may be 'official' GM plates; they are not like what came on the car originally.

The aftermarkets with stickers might look OK, but they are thinner metal and are much too shiny. You can spot that they are repos from a mile away. If you don't car about that, it's a decent way to go.

The aftermarkets with the 'rivets' are only a step above the cheap ones. They don't really have true rivets, they just have little nubs that at a glance look like rivets, but are not.

The guy on EBay that was mentioned in an earlier post has kind of a clever idea. He is taking the recently manufactured GM plates and putting on real rivets. Not authentic of course, but in the pictures they look pretty good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guy's

I have two original GM's on now but the one has the rivets and the other one don't, reason for this is years ago one was replaced and did not have the rivets. I guess it looks like I will be going with the original GM because I don't want them real shiny. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge on the sill plates. This is a great site to get answers for your camaro's.

Terry

·
Registered
873 Posts
There is someone on here that sold a set of NOS riveted sill plates a couple years ago. Dante I believe is his name. He got over a $1000 for the set.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
There is someone on here that sold a set of NOS riveted sill plates a couple years ago. Dante I believe is his name. He got over a $1000 for the set.
$1000.00 :eek: Wow! Terry, you just got PM'ed!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Hi guy's

I guess it looks like I will be going with the original GM because I don't want them real shiny.
Terry
Yeah, I prefer the original bright aluminum look to the semi-chrome look of the repops. I suppose if the whole car was spotless and gleaming, ultra-shiny plates wouldn't look terribly out of place - just not my cup 'O tea.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You can install rivets in the GM ones, and make them look "better". I bought some beat up ones and ground the back of the rivet off, then drilled the GM ones and installed the original rivets, held in place with some epoxy on the under side. You could find brads with a similar head, and use them, but I chose the originals, as every original I have ever seen had a crescent shaped tool mark on the head. Check the original one on your car.

BTW the GM ones are still available from your local Chevy dealer. Check his prices, and probably save some money. Plus you can pick them up. Also Check GMpartsdirect.com, for their prices.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I went back and found the ad I was speaking of earlier. The ad was actually on the Yenko.net site. I made a small mistake on the price...
"This is my last pair and I can honestly say that when these are gone that will be it! I have a beautiful pair of genuine GM sill plates for 67-69 Camaros with rivets holding the "Body by Fisher" emblems on. These are the genuine article. The GM wrappers are old and brittle. These are a MUST for that concourse COPO, Yenko, Baldwin or Nickey Camaro. A real "in your face" part that shows up well. I know the rules state I must post a selling price so here goes: $2500.00 for the pair......that is a starting point and I am open to legitimate offers.....many thanx!"
Anyone feel better now about their sill plates??LOL Kevin

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went back and found the ad I was speaking of earlier. The ad was actually on the Yenko.net site. I made a small mistake on the price...
"This is my last pair and I can honestly say that when these are gone that will be it! I have a beautiful pair of genuine GM sill plates for 67-69 Camaros with rivets holding the "Body by Fisher" emblems on. These are the genuine article. The GM wrappers are old and brittle. These are a MUST for that concourse COPO, Yenko, Baldwin or Nickey Camaro. A real "in your face" part that shows up well. I know the rules state I must post a selling price so here goes: $2500.00 for the pair......that is a starting point and I am open to legitimate offers.....many thanx!"
Anyone feel better now about their sill plates??LOL Kevin
LOL I will take two sets at that price, one set for a spare!

Terry

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like the new shiny ones with rivets. But my car is real shiny so maybe thats why. Just my .02.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts