Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new ACC carpet for my 68 Camaro. The car has automatic floor shift and a console. Should I install the carpet and then bolt the shifter and console bracket on top of the carpet or should I cut the carpet around the shifter and console bracket ?

Frank.

·
Registered
328 Posts
frank, this is how i was told was the neatest way to do it. put all the bolts that hold shifter,seats etc. back in the holes lay in your carpet then cut little slices on top of each bolt so they will pop thrue. what kind of matt are you using under it? everybody seems to like dynamat, it really keeps the sound and vibrations down.
anyone out there got any other tips??

My ride: www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/hillbridge/72/

[This message has been edited by chuckboy7 (edited 06-02-2002).]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
DONT bolt the front console bracket to the carpet. The console will sit too high and you'll have a gap between the console and the carpet. The rear of the console, like by the ashtray and in the compartment DOES bolt through the carpet because there are extentions at the console holes to make up for the thickness of the carpet. I THINK the shifter assembly bolts directly to the floor and NOT through the carpet..I'm 80% sure of that.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Another tip - put studs in the seat bases so you can easily tell where to cut the carpet. I left the studs in and it made it very easy to put the seats back in. In fact, anywhere a bolts had gone in, I put a stud.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I started installing new carpet last nite and have another tip. I used heavy duty headliner glue out of a spray can to glue the carpet to the tranny hump. It makes fitting the sides much easier because the carpet won't move. Be sure to fit the carpet square in the car first - spend at least 5-10 minutes pushing the carpet around. Once it fits all of the floor contours correctly, it should be square.

I also used ACC carpet and had to do minimal trimming of the sides. In the past, they usually had 3-4 inches of extra carpet on the sides. If you have to trim more than an inch or so, double check to make sure that the carpet is square with the body of the car.

I installed a layer of Dynamat Extreme from the top of the toe panel to the front of the seat mount frame and underneath the rear seat. I put piece in the middle of the seat mount frame too. I also removed the jute padding from the back of the carpet in the footwell area and installed Dynamat Extremeliner in its place.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 06-03-2002).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just did my 69' and pulled the console out.The floor shifter is bolted directly to the floor. Here's a neat trick I did with the console. Once again the engineers did us a big favor and put studs with nuts on the front of the console mounting bracket so if the transmission is in the car you'll be calling them a few choice words especially on the passenger side, 1/4" drive swivel socket (1/2") will get the drivers side. When I finally got the console out I took that front bracket off, ground the studs off, drilled holes through the flat heads, and put threaded steel inserts in the tunnel where the holes went through for the studs. JUST LIKE THEY DID FOR ALL THE OTHER BOLTS !!! With the shifter in first gear you can get your hand in there to install the bolts and use a 1/4" drive rachet to tighten them. My floor pans are original so I sprayed ospho on them twice about a week apart and then undercoated them with a rubber base undercoating. Do yourself a favor and retap (clean) your seat bolt mounting holes the size is 5/16 -18, makes life easy when you installed the seats. I also made some transfer screws by taking 5/16-18 bolts and cutting the heads off and sharpening them to a point then I screwed them into the seat mounting holes before I put the carpet down and pushed on the carpet to punch them through. I then used a gasket hole cutting punch and block of wood to make perfect holes in the carpet. I got my carpet for $99 bucks from Rick's First Generation and I was impressed how good it was molded, has the jute back padding already (other sources it cost extra), looks good, and required very little trimming. Hope this is some help for you.

------------------
Drew

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 06-03-2002).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice tip drew69 on the console mounting bracket.

My 69 console doesn't have a front mounting bracket. It wasn't there when I got the car. I thought about getting a bracket for it, but then I think "why", my console sits there just fine with only the two bolts holding it and it makes it very easy to remove. Hence, I'll leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Interesting comment about the ACC carpet. I bought from Classic's recently. Their catalog says ACC but there was at least 3-4" of extra carpet on the sides and I question how 'molded' it was.

------------------
Rick Dorion

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Interesting Rick. This is the third carpet set I have installed in my car over a 13 year period and I have to say that this particular set is the best fitting. I too questioned how molded the carpet was when I took it out of the box, but it fit the car like a glove.

Also, were the seat brackets installed on top of the carpet or was the carpet cut so that the bracket contacted the seat mount directly? It would seem that you wouldn't be able to hold a torque spec if you bolted the brackets on top of the carpet.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 06-04-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I put studs into the seat base, through the carpet. Made for easy spotting of the seat when I reinstalled. As far as torqueing, I tightened 'by feel'. If anything I'm on the high side. The studs were grade 5 from Lowe's. I also put studs where the console mounts. Again, made for easy carpet cutting and installing.

------------------
Rick Dorion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.