Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
David
Yes. Some of the old ones will fit but why would you want an old heavy cast iron bellhousing?? They don't have what it takes to be an effective scatter sheild (Though they are a little better than aluminum)?
Jim

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
But alotta the cast-iron b/h's had side mounts for different installations that are non-stock... Plus, are open on the bottom to make clutch changinmg a breeze!! Tranny just hang's out in the air sorta deal so no tranny mount to mess with too....

pdq67

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Paul I saw the same thing on a Dodge Ram dualie up here in Michigan last week. I just about died when I saw those things hanging down below the bed.

I have put one of those cast iron bellhousings into a 68 Camaro, but it was 25 years ago when I did it. I do remember you'll need the correct starter nose and like what has already been said it does leave everything hanging out in the open down below. But it does fit and work and is probably safer than an aluminum housing. I'd still look for a scattershield, you can find them reasonable used.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
A tid-bit I just found out about!!

Got a new Midwest Motorsports cat. yesterday in the mail and on page 87 they show "Steel C-T Chevy Bellhousing Rear Engine Mounts", (PN MWM ALL 38101 pair), that bolt-on so that we can four point mount our motor and trannies like in the Tri-5 days if by chance somebody wants to modify their S/F so that they can use the big 'Vette 2.5" ramshorn cast-iron exhaust manifolds, or the cheap, real close block huggers..

FOOD FOR THOUGHT is why I mention this b/c to me, this could really save a header hassle if done right.....

And right above them are the frame mounts under PN MWM 62550.

pdq67

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
The old, Tri-5 cast-iron b/h's had a starter that had a flanged end on it that mounted straight in to a hole in the b/h with two bolts that went in parallel to the bendix as well as the two rear block motor mounts.

The starter bolt flange in the b/h looked a lot like a 2-bolt exhaust flange and hole, but bigger of course so the starter snout could fit right!!

The old blocks back then up to '57 had no starter holes in them.. And the '55 and some '56, 265's didn't even have a casting boss for a canister filter b/c a filter was optional on them waaaaaay back then.

The "filter can" sat up on top of the motor by the carb and looked similar to the canister can filter except it had a lid on it's open end!!

pdq67

1 - 10 of 10 Posts