Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X33 that i am working on. It needs a 302. It will never be numbers matching now. Is a CE 302 worth doing? I know that DZ's are around once in a while, but are rare. The bidding seems to be going slow on eBay for this CE, but will intensify at closing I am sure. What is one worth? Thanks for the input.

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Do you know for sure it's a CE 302? Does it have the correct pistons, crank, heads, intake, accessories? If so, it's the same as a DZ block only the letters are different. If you price out all the correct DZ engine components, it would cost you over $2000 easily to put together a true DZ302. Go for the CE and save some money. The car will look like a DZ and run like one.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo

·
Registered
256 Posts
I thought that CE meant Chevrolet Engine
I have a M22 in my 69 that has CT stamped on it (Chevrolet Transmission).But back to the topic IMO A CE motor would be better than an
incorrect DZ motor as far as an original equipment resto if the original block is gone

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is there suposed to be a difference between a DZ (302) block and a standard everyday 350 block? I didn't think there was any difference except for the 4 bolt mains. I allways thought a 302 block was just another 4" bore, 4 bolt main that was stamped with "DZ" when it was set to become a 302 motor. I'm I mistaken about this?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The factory 302 block is not unique. The 67-68 were regular 2 bolt main blocks and the 69 blocks were the same as any other 4 bolt main small block. The "DZ" or "MO" is just a stamped in suffix code. A truck engine used the same casting but has a different code stamp. I would guess a "CT" over the counter replacement is almost as good as a matching number engine but that is a personal subjective opinion. The only opinions that realy matter is the guy that is selling and the guy that is buying.

-Mark.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Actually the 3970010 Z28 blocks were a little unique in that they had a N on the main caps which means nodular material, the caps were also shotpeened. low horse truck and passenger 4 bolt blocks did not have the N main caps. 69 Z28s used 3 different casting #s, 3932386 was used till approx Dec/68, 3956618 was used from late dec/68 till approx mid April/69, and 3970010 was used from April/69 till Nov/69. Not sure if the N caps came on All 386 & 618 blocks. I have seen a June/69 CE Z28 motor and it had the N caps. Hope this Helps and good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.