Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
73 302 warranty engine? or 71? I have a ce block same numbers on back 010 020. Mine is a 302 and it is a 70 warranty engine. There are people who know a lot more about the dates on these engines than I and I saw a post a day or two ago talking about this. I think it was on CRG though.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I just checked CRG, there was a post entitled "warranty engine" that explained a lot about these engines. Maybe JohnZ will chime in. I don't know how to link. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
That too. On the CRG forum John Z answered a question about if these were warranty or over the counter.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm not aware of any documentation of CE blocks being sequence stamped and inventoried by the engine plants prior to a warranty authorization being processed and approved by the local zone office where the warranty replacement was requested? John am I missing something in the warranty process regarding preassembled inventory? It would seem to defeat the purpose of tracking warranty material by the bean counters.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Very good info, Jeff.

One I am currently dealing with doesnt follow the specific stamping procedure.

69 Z. All the internal parts are correct, as well as the "bolt-on" parts, all which are pn and date correct for the car.

But does not have the model year designation:

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i reread the bulletin provided by Jeff. It says the "9" would indicate the "model year". I'm not sure what that means. My CE coded, June cast 512 block would certainly have been a replacement for a 427, not a 454.

However, here's my question:
If, for example, a CE1XXXX block was found, that had an October cast date, would the "1" indicate it was replaced during the 71 model year, (roughly August, 70 through July 71) or would it indicate it was stamped sometime during the calendar year 71?

Is it correct that this example "could" have been a replacement for a 69 L72, or 70 LS6 (as well as several other b/b) as they could still have been under warranty in 71?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Thats not an original CE stamp unless GM changed the format in 77 (its not a 67 motor since its a 3970010 block). There are no N codes used in a CE code. I've seen A's,B's and C's but nothing any higher. They seem to indicate and assembly (block with fitted pistons, but no crank), a block (self explanatory) or a complete motor (shortblock). This one can't be a warranty block because 1977 was way outside the 5/50 warranty period, and for the most part over the counter blocks do not carry CE numbers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
CE1n21189 appears to be a con vin but with messed up digits. Can you post an image of the stamp?

Another thought; you have part of the engine code (the suffix code) combined with con vin (this is wag )willd a$$ guess)

?????CE - suffix
1N21189? - con vin with missing digits

Got to see a picture

010 020 = amount (10%) Tin and (20%) Nickel present in the steel.
Tin helps the cast iron heat and cool more evenly, nickel hardens and polishs the bore surfaces for better ring sealing

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The CE code was stamped by the engine assembly plant before shipment to the dealer for replacement. The engine plant had no idea what car it was going in, they just had an order for a specific engine (or engine parts) type and that it was to be shipped to a specific dealer. The dealer was supposed to stamp the vehicles VIN on the block before it was installed in the car, but I've yet to see one where that was actually done. You can't have a combination stamping since they were done at two different times, not at the same time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You can't have a combination stamping since they were done at two different times, not at the same time.
I mean the person reading the number might be mixing the 2 codes together. Either way, unless we see a picture we won't know for sure if he gave us all what is really there or if they are mixed up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked the number again as my second post the number is CE4N21189 no vin number
This engine has been in my camaro for over 30 years, it is a 4 bolt main with all the 302 parts, crank,pistons, etc...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've noted the N designation on several Flint CE blocks along with A,B,C and nothing at all. Best guess as Mark C. suggests is that it was the "type" of block assembly requested but its still unknown. I have a CE in my 69 L34 that is a March build and the CE is a May cast and also carries an assembly stamp at the starter flange of 059 and the rough casting was CON VIN stamped. The VIN was hand stamped and excluded the 19N portion just the last six digits. Keep in mind that our CE's are still NOM's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts