Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this topic and could find a clear cut answer on this topic. I have an original 68 column shift car that I just purchased a 68 center console for. At this point I want to install the console and have the courtesy light, back-up lights, neutral safety switch and the shift indicator light operational. At some point in the future I plan on adding either the factory console guages or the Autometer guage pod set. My question involves the wiring of the console. Since this is an original column shift car, can I still use the console harness that is available? Should I wire for the guages now or can I worry about that later?
tks!

------------------
68 SS Clone
327/210
factory 4bbl manifold
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm
built 700R4 w/2200 stall
3.08 open diff 8.2

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are several options available. You can get a complete underdash harness for the console w/gauges. You can also get a console harness with the gauge option and use your dash gauges until you get the console gauges. There is a console gauge extension harness that is used to adapt non-console cars to the console option. The oil and temp sensors will have to be changed when switching from the idiot lights to the gauges. I think column shifted Camaros are fairly rare, but it's your car.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

[This message has been edited by 1 2RUN (edited 11-14-2002).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with 1 2RUN, I think column shifted camaros are rare and cool. If I had one I'd be more inclined to look for a bench seat than I would a console. This year at Domino Farms Camaro Fest there were over 450 camaros and only one 6 cyl and it had a column shift. Coolest car there. JMO

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info regarding the harnesses. I'm keeping all of the orignal parts so I could convert it back to a column shift if I wanted to in the future. I just happen to like having the floor shift and console. Just a personal preference.
tks guys.

------------------
68 SS Clone
327/210
factory 4bbl manifold
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm
built 700R4 w/2200 stall
3.08 open diff 8.2

·
Registered
581 Posts
Kurt, If want one real bad, Lets talk,
I swipped a console and harnes for my 68, it plugged right in for back up lights and console lights. The neutral safety switch wires I had to chop and extend from the coloumn switch to console.

[This message has been edited by Rob.Canada (edited 11-15-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts