Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center dash panel in my '68 deluxe interior car is a woodgrain panel. The original ash tray and radio face plate are black. However, I found a matching woodgrain ashtray (not Pontiac turtleshell) and have seen aftermarket woodgrain face plates. Were woodgrain ash trays and face plates available as options on Camaros?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi carl My 68 has matching wood grain ash tray, standard interior with ac, The radio face plate is black, have yet to see one in wood grain.
I sold a panel (non ac)and ash tray last year, the wood grain was a different shade than what was in my car, but not the rosewood of the 69.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Generally speaking, you would get the additional woodgrain pieces if you you had a 68 or 69 "deluxe" interior. The 67's DID NOT have woodgrain as a option. The 68 woodgrain pieces INCLUDED the ashtray and console piece but NOT the glove box. The woodgrain was a Walnut Grain and the optional steering wheel was also a walnut grain.

The 69 deluxe interior came with a Rosewood (also called called cherry wood)glove box, ashtray and a surrounding piece that covered the bottom half of the dash from the instrument panel to the end of the passsenger side of the dash. In addition they were some cherry wood trim pieces (three separate pieces) that were around the headlight/wiper swith and around both knobs of the radio.

The optional steering wheel was the matching rosewood wheel and they command as much as $750.00 if they are MINT original. The OER version is a very poor copy but still goes for 250.00 roughly.

You can add these pieces later on although they are very difficult to find and as such they are extremely valuble (there currently are no reprodutions available that I am aware of).

I know because I recently purchased the complete 69 woodgrain dash for $460.00 (near-mint condition). I had been looking for this for over a year!!!

You could purchase contact paper and make your own woodgrain dash as that IS available in Wanlut and Rosewood (cherry wood).

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-06-2000).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Early 68's had the black ashtray

Brian

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just got a new catalog from National Parts Depot in California. They show a repro in cherrywood trim which includes the glove box, ash tray and the rest of the trim for $159.95 for 69's.

------------------

·
Registered
523 Posts
Black69,

Just because it is in a catalog doesn't mean it is available because IT IS NOT. The center instrument dash cluster is also listed in the Digital Dakota Adds but if you call to order they will tell you that that that the digital gauges are available but the 69 instrument cluster that surrounds them is not.

Unfortunately, there are many vendors that list items in their catalog that are simply not available and that is precisely the case with the 69 complete woodgrain dash and the 69 instrument dash cluster. Just so you know!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts