Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried several searches on this and did not find the answer to my question...What performance difference does the large diameter centerlink have over the smaller? or vice-versa? I have a '69 ss/rs 350 that I bought in 1984 with manual steering and it appears to have the smaller centerlink. Was the larger centerlink used only in high performance packages? Thanks for any help clearing this up for me. :confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I dont know, but I would tend to think it was used for performance apps. However, I have a true 69 SS with 350 and it has the small (15/16") centerlink. I have thought about installing the 1 1/8" on my car.

Being bigger would help on any flex issues, if there is any flex at all. Of course it will weigh a slight bit more. I say go for it. I probably will.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
10,157 Posts
As far as I know they were first used on big block cars, then may have been used on all Novas from 70 to 74. The replacement GM center link last available was a large dia one.
For a sb car with stock or near stock tires, street driven, the stock size is fine. If you have lots of traction and brake and are autocrossing or drag racing where you might do a wheelstand, the large link is less likely to break or bend.
David

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the subframe in my Nova was out of a 69 6 cylinder 4 door, and it has the large (and heavy) centerlink.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 69 6cyl Nova has a thick one but only because I got one from the '69 Chevy TransAm racing parts book. My friend had a '69 RS 327 convertible & his came with the thin one.

·
10,157 Posts
At one time in the early 70's, the thick one was the only one available, the thin centerlinks were discontinued first.
David

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help. This sounds like another "bigger is better" situation. I should have guessed that would be the case.
Thanks Again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts