Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a easy fix short of welding the crack in my new headers.
crack is on the #1 primary tube inside the flange.
very small crack but noticeable "tick" while idling.
any good stuff for a temp repair until i get that side off this winter?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Short of welding it for a permanent fix, the only thing I could think of is to clean and rough up the area around the crack and try some JB weld epoxy. coupe

·
3,398 Posts
Dawg,
If they are "new" and they are cracked ....... why would you not call the manufacturer and have them replaced under warranty ???????????????

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
JB Weld may not be rated high enough for a header repair right at the head. There is another product at the autoparts store right next to the JB Weld that is rated for 1300 degrees but the name fails me. It's in a small round plastic container/tub and packaged on a piece of cardboard like most tubes of goo. I've used it to repair a hole in the water pan on my smoker that sits right over the hot coals but never on a car.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to ugly them up a bit to prep the surface. You may be able to use a chainsaw sharpener bit in a Dremel to rough it up right along the crack so as not to completely wreck it.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dawg,
If they are "new" and they are cracked ....... why would you not call the manufacturer and have them replaced under warranty ???????????????
because I had to open up the holes to gasket match my D port brodix heads.
the headers are full lenght hedman hustler headers with oval ports.
once they hear i opened up the holes they wont honor warranty.
I searched high and low but cant find a set of full length headers for brodix D port heads.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JB Weld may not be rated high enough for a header repair right at the head. There is another product at the autoparts store right next to the JB Weld that is rated for 1300 degrees but the name fails me. It's in a small round plastic container/tub and packaged on a piece of cardboard like most tubes of goo. I've used it to repair a hole in the water pan on my smoker that sits right over the hot coals but never on a car.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to ugly them up a bit to prep the surface. You may be able to use a chainsaw sharpener bit in a Dremel to rough it up right along the crack so as not to completely wreck it.
the stuff your thinking of is thermosteel
pic here:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/THERMOSTEEL-ENGINE-REPAIR-COMPOUND/GP_2000759_N_111+10201+600016924_10101.jcw
Im already ahead of ya and applied it and that stuff is hard as nails once dry.
once i cured it I applied some ceramic coating I got from eastwoods and youll need a maginfying glass to find the repair.
ran car for an hour with no leaks evident.
So ill be the test guinea pig for this stuff ill let you all know how it works.
BTW ill be pulling the headers this fall and tig welding them then recoat.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
hmm stuff is still holding up after a few burnouts and full throttle passes.
seems to work very well at this point.
And unless your looking with a magnifying glass you cant see the repair

I think I see a winter project that may get cancelled....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts