Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier in the engine section and did not have much response so I will try here. 69 SS396 convert. installing chambered exhaust and having trouble understanding the hangers near the wheel wells, at the rear frame rail. The d-side hanger seems to make sense however, the rt side/pass side hanger has a different bend to it. Can someone walk me through and/or does anyone have a good picture of this hanger and how it attaches to the pipe. Very many thanks as I did a search and spent several hours reading and even tried to find pics on ebay cars before asking. Again thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

Many thanks! it helps a lot. The hanger on the p-side has a different bend to it. Is it supposed to be the same as the d-side? Also, the hanger kit came with two small brackets, where do they go? On the chambered exhaust, do you use the hangers/straps that bolt under the back of the rear seat area? Sorry so many questions, but the exhaust on my car was mostly gone when I purchased and it has been 5 years getting to this point. Thanks again,

Doug

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi just a thought at the risk of hi-jacking this thread, I've heard some rumbblings about the Chambered exhaust being too restrictive and power robbers. Don't get me wrong I have it on my 69 RS/SS 350 and I love the way it sounds, but sometimes I feel my car is lacking power and was wondering if it's the Chambered exhaust. Any thoughts?

J.P.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just did this job on my convertible, but my two hangers looked exactly alike except for the fact they were opposites. ( for left and right) IN the picture in this thread that shows the two hangers, the passenger side hanger where it attaches to the frame rail looks longer than the driver side one ( which is what both of mine look like). I guess different manufacturers make the parts differently? Im consued now because my two hangers attaching area with the two holes looks the same on each side.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Mark. AND the detailing on your car looks terrific! Nicely done....

I checked the books and they show the "original" hangers with a slightly different bend where they attach/go around the pipe. (d-side vs. P-side) My system is stainless and I don't want to bend it until I am certain of how it should go because I may not be able to get it back and it cost$.

Thanks again

Doug

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
rdmatic, the left side should be like in the pic. I took a standard left side bracket, available from NAPA and welded an extension on it. then ground it and painted it to look like the originals. I used stainless exhaust clamps to hold the pipe to the bracket, although the originals had a strap steel clamp spot welded to the bracket.

I do have a set of what I believe to be NOS chambered brackets (have W in a circle, which I think is Walker) but have not used them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.