Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have chambered exhaust on my '69.

Is there any benefit to having this? From my perspective, it's too quiet, and I am probably choking off some HP.

Before I switch it out, I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I currently have chambered exhaust on my '69.

Is there any benefit to having this? From my perspective, it's too quiet, and I am probably choking off some HP.

Before I switch it out, I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks.
Chambered exhaust is much louder than a transverse exhaust. I a have chambered on my car and my buddy has a transverse set up. We both have 69 Z/28's and my car is much louder. However I do have headers and he does not. Chambered exhaust was discontinued due to excessive noise.

What motor do you have and do you have headers.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
X2 with what Mike is saying. Chambered exhaust should be very noisy even without headers.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 427 (L72) engine with exhaust manifolds.

It does make decent noise, but nothing like the Flowmaster exhaust I have on my other '69.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I have a 427 (L72) engine with exhaust manifolds.

It does make decent noise, but nothing like the Flowmaster exhaust I have on my other '69.
Are you looking for noisy? Flowmasters have a distinctive deep generic sound. Seems odd that you car is quiet with Chambered exhaust IMO.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking for noisy? Flowmasters have a distinctive deep generic sound. Seems odd that you car is quiet with Chambered exhaust IMO.
Yes, looking for noisy. It is odd that my chambered exhaust isn't as noisy as it should.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Just thinking here, Too Quiet? Any chance the internal baffleing collapsing, restriction?

With motor running , if you put your hand over one tail pipe at a time, you should feel the same exhaust pressure, if not, you may have found your problem.
One other thing, do you still have a heat riser valve on the pass side? Got a little flapper weight on it, it should be free.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thinking here, Too Quiet? Any chance the internal baffleing collapsing, restriction?

With motor running , if you put your hand over one tail pipe at a time, you should feel the same exhaust pressure, if not, you may have found your problem.
One other thing, do you still have a heat riser valve on the pass side? Got a little flapper weight on it, it should be free.
Even exhaust pressure and, yes, there is a heat riser on the pass side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts