Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
I have been waiting for a near survivor big block car to show up in the listings so I can monitor the sale price. That being said, not sure if I would classify this particular car as "near survivor". Looks like it will probably need some sheet metal - I see rust popping out at the bottom of the fenders and quarters. He should have posted a shot of the trunk without the mat blocking it. Looks solid underneath. I am confused by some of the underneath shots showing what looks like an original undercarraige with original exhaust, and others that show new pipes (with dumps under the axles - don't care for that) and restored rear end and subframe. I guess he is showing us before and after. Unfortunately, the pictures of the shortblock look like it has been decked. Hope they had the foresight to preserve the block stamping.

All in all, a really neat car in an unusual color. I like it!

Just curious - how much of a premium does an identical car in a convertible command?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed the deck surface also. Why would someone do that?
Many a rebuild took care of that, well before people knew or cared enough about the value of preserving the original provenance. Pity, but commonly done.....

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a similarly-optioned restored version of the eBay car, looks very nice and I really like the black vinyl roof with the champagne body (pity about the stripe/fender emblem though):

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Here's a similarly-optioned restored version of the eBay car, looks very nice and I really like the black vinyl roof with the champagne body (pity about the stripe/fender emblem though):
Yep, I always wince a little when I see something like that. It's obvious the car was restored by someone who knows very little about Camaros. To go that far with the car only to get an obvious detail like that completely wrong is a real bummer. No easy fix for it either. It's easy enough these days to do a quick internet search to find the correct placement of stripes, emblems, etc., for almost any make and model.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Yeah, and reserve not met ! Thought this car may be an excellent deal for a "body man" to do well on, but I'm beginning to wonder...?

What would it be worth fully restored ?
It seems to be stuck on $25,900 for a couple of days now. I guess that might be all it gets. Probably a little too much rust peeking out around the wheelwells to command top dollar, and the deck lid is whacked - will probably need to be replaced. I also wonder if the fact that the numbers on the block may have been decked off the surface is hurting it. Seller might have done better to just leave the car alone rather than restoring the mechanicals.

I have no idea what it would be worth fully restored - my guess would be upper 40's?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
This car was for sale a few years ago on this site by a member, at that time it had a CE warranty replacement block...the E-Bay listing now suggests the original engine was rebuild? Did they find the original engine and rebuild it....if I recall correctly the car was sold out of Colorado and ended up in Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I liked the car better before the current owner purchased it and performed his 'improvements'... now he expects to be paid for that...?

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
One day left, and it appears to be stuck on $26K. Unless a couple of bidders get busy in a hurry, it looks like that is where it's going to stay. I think the big question at this point is whether the original motor is in the car. That is probably what is holding it back at this point. If it was in the same condition (maybe just a little better body-wise) with an unmolested drivetrain, I think the car would sell for quite a bit more. At this point, you might as well go ahead and finish it as a fully restored car, because it is in nowhere near survivor condition.

Question, assuming someone bought it for $26K and then put another $10K into paint and bodywork, would $36K be a good price for this car? (Yes, I know the reserve would be higher than 26).

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,241 Posts
I agree Tom, with the block being decked and no proof it's original....and the body damage and unknown rust issues, I'd say it did well to reach the $28.3 K bid.

BTW, if you were hiring a top notch body/paint guy, I doubt 10K would get much done ...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.