Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,297 Posts
No. People want cars that look great. Don’t care as much about #s anymore.
FG ugh lol
Sure they do, but each individual has their own taste in color. I agree, the other colors you mention are more popular.

...so, you gonna make me search out the FG Z that sold for big bucks at Mecum last winter ?!? lol
Font Magenta Eyelash Art Circle

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sure they do, but each individual has their own taste in color. I agree, the other colors you mention are more popular.

...so, you gonna make me search out the FG Z that sold for big bucks at Mecum last winter ?!? lol
View attachment 293750
69Z in HO gaveled today at Mecum for 130k. Owner stated it was originally Gold I think. Me? Not a fan of an orange car.
And a 69 with a “genuine ZL1 engine and intake“ in HO…100k. Pretty sure the engine is worth 50k by itself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thx for the reply’s, we all have different opinions, but that’s cool.
It’s been a long time since I have looked at a good lacquer job.
Am i wrong, I thought lacquer looked different. Maybe not as shiny. Maybe I am
remembering old paint. From my memory new materials prob look better. I would not want a c8 vette in lacquer. C2 vette sure.
Am I mistaken, I remember it as a unique look, can’t describe it, duller looking but fit the era?
thoughts?.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
remembering old paint. From my memory new materials prob look better. I would not want a c8 vette in lacquer. C2 vette sure.
Am I mistaken, I remember it as a unique look, can’t describe it, duller looking but fit the era?
thoughts?.
I think all of the cars were a little more dull back then. I have seen some nice lacquer jobs, but if you're going to drive it I would sway you away. Plus , when even sells it anymore? The last I used was Dupont and that was in the mid 1980's. I don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,297 Posts
thoughts?.
Definitely not as "glassy" appearing as todays basecoat clearcoat finishes. I'd say single stage urethane may be somewhat comparable in appearance. Scott or Don could better answer that.

Here's an interesting article on the factory paint...CRG Research Report - Camaro Assembly Process (camaros.org)

Finishes weren't perfectly smooth (bit of orange peel), so obviously this contributes to the gloss level.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Definitely not as "glassy" appearing as todays basecoat clearcoat finishes. I'd say single stage urethane may be somewhat comparable in appearance. Scott or Don could better answer that.

Here's an interesting article on the factory paint...CRG Research Report - Camaro Assembly Process (camaros.org)

Finishes weren't perfectly smooth (bit of orange peel), so obviously this contributes to the gloss level.
Well here,s my two cents . I always painted my cars a 69 caddy color Saphire blue firemist lots of sparkles . i always painted them with either Dupont Dulux single stage enamel or Acme Fleet-X Enamel.The cars came out like glass because i hot sprayed them i heated the paint on a hot plate no thinner beautiful. i got no stripes ever always a good job . i bought my 70 ss Camaro and it was that awful rust brown Copper color. My brother in law said lets do a black laquer job . I wanted to paint it Lemans Blue. Well we stripped and painted it with R / MEbony Black Laquer which in 1973 was the one to use it was black black if you know what i mean. Two things i learned. one never use laquer paint as now ihave a problem and the car needs a paint job. Two never paint a car Black with no A/C and a black interior its like driving a boiler room on any day over 75/80 without a good breeze Todays paints are both brutal and deadly i will do the body and priming and get a painter to shoot it. think three times about using laquer and then dont use it. Alex

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well here,s my two cents . I always painted my cars a 69 caddy color Saphire blue firemist lots of sparkles . i always painted them with either Dupont Dulux single stage enamel or Acme Fleet-X Enamel.The cars came out like glass because i hot sprayed them i heated the paint on a hot plate no thinner beautiful. i got no stripes ever always a good job . i bought my 70 ss Camaro and it was that awful rust brown Copper color. My brother in law said lets do a black laquer job . I wanted to paint it Lemans Blue. Well we stripped and painted it with R / MEbony Black Laquer which in 1973 was the one to use it was black black if you know what i mean. Two things i learned. one never use laquer paint as now ihave a problem and the car needs a paint job. Two never paint a car Black with no A/C and a black interior its like driving a boiler room on any day over 75/80 without a good breeze Todays paints are both brutal and deadly i will do the body and priming and get a painter to shoot it. think three times about using laquer and then dont use it. Alex
I am a king of the rattle cans.…..proud of it too.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro L48, Y-Y, C60, M35 Powerglide
110 Posts
I'm not a paint guy, so I can't walk through the various pros and cons of lacquer and I don't understand what all of the nuances are in the various options of painting ... and I'm not asking for a primer here; I'm just qualifying my response.

With that said, I have a Y-Y 67 that was repainted around 1986 with lacquer paint. I have put around 20,000 miles on the car in the 30 years since. My impression is that it has worn and chipped no different than any other modern car I have owned in that same time frame. It's needing a repaint at this point, due to some scars from kids' bikes (garage issues) and such. It definitely has flaws, but for 35 years, it still shines and looks great from 15' away. YMMV.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Reactions: fairfax1000

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in here.. Lacquer is more work with the polishing and buffing, but it's ok, it's been around a very long time and it works. Plenty of people will debate the properties of the different paints, but I'll discuss the color. My experience from having a hugger orange, 69 daily driver long ago is that it’s very noticeable color. It’s a red-orange, more subtle than the orange that was used on some other makes of cars, but it’s still orange. It’s so noticeable that I once had a highway patrol leave a semi-truck inspection to ticket me for a minor infraction. Sitting at a stoplight once, the driver of a car was staring at me so hard, he blew through the red light. After a couple of years my wife had an epiphany that she was driving the only orange car on the road, didn’t like the attention and wouldn’t drive it any more. When my kids were little, to keep them occupied in the back seat, I would tell them that I would give them a dollar for every car they spotted that was the same color. That worked for a while until my oldest angrily said that there aren’t any other cars this color. All in all, I think the color was the reason I was stopped so many times by law enforcement that I started referring to the color as “ Hello Officer Orange”.

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
I'd buy pretty much any color, besides green,
I don't like butternut either, and I've had two that color. :unsure:

There are a LOT of orange 69s around me.

I’m not a fan of vinyl tops either, although I’ve had two of those also, but the best looking orange 69 I’ve seen locally looks good with black stripes and the black top.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Is it hammering value not staying original? It’s a z28 with original motor etc
Opinions are like .... well... you know. Personally, if it is indeed a matching numbers Z/28, painting it anything other than it's original color will hurt its collectability. Whether or not that affects what someone is willing to pay for it is another thing. Forest Green is one of my favorite colors for '69. Nothing wrong with H. Orange, either, but everybody paints their cars flashy colors. Overdone in my book. So are the stripes used on the Zs and Pace Cars. I painted my car back to it's original configuration. Not the most popular these days, but everyone that sees thinks it looks good.

·
16,686 Posts
Opinions are like .... well... you know. Personally, if it is indeed a matching numbers Z/28, painting it anything other than it's original color will hurt its collectability. Whether or not that affects what someone is willing to pay for it is another thing. Forest Green is one of my favorite colors for '69. Nothing wrong with H. Orange, either, but everybody paints their cars flashy colors. Overdone in my book. So are the stripes used on the Zs and Pace Cars. I painted my car back to it's original configuration. Not the most popular these days, but everyone that sees thinks it looks good.
Forest Green was not a 69 Camaro color?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts