Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha All, Thinking about changing my Stock Bulbs to LED Bulbs, would light to get the lights brighter inside and out side. Looking for feed back Good Bad idea, easy to do or pain in the ***? New site looking good I know it's a lot of work thank you.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
I have done that... and fairly easy to do.

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
You will need to change your flasher units. LEDs don't draw enough load for the stock ones to work properly.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Dimming LED dash, console lights not going to happen post install unless you purchase a 12 volt load. Some bulbs will not fit inside there perspective holders, i.e. shifter 1445 LED bulbs are to long.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
Dimming LED dash, console lights not going to happen post install unless you purchase a 12 volt load....
Not true with the LED bulbs that I bought from SuperBrightLEDs.com
Dimming works fine.

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tried changing my taillight bulbs. The socket is slanted so the LED's do not point directly back. Didn't do well at all but the digital no load flasher works great with 1157's.

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
50 Posts
No luck changing instrument cluster and console bulbs to LED. Pulled them back out and installed new regular bulbs and everything works fine on my '69 Camaro.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 69 , really was hoping it would help brighten up the instrument panel and console gauges.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Not true with the LED bulbs that I bought from SuperBrightLEDs.com
Dimming works fine.
Yes true!

I replaced ALL dash, heater, radio and console bulbs with SuperBrightLEDSs.com as well. Dimmer continued to function when only the dash, radio and heater control bulbs were replaced. As soon as I swapped out the remaining console bulbs MY dimmer function ceased.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Yes true!

I replaced ALL dash, heater, radio and console bulbs with SuperBrightLEDSs.com as well. Dimmer continued to function when only the dash, radio and heater control bulbs were replaced. As soon as I swapped out the remaining console bulbs MY dimmer function ceased.
That being said, you need something to get enough of a voltage drop for LED"s to dim. If you check how many ohm's resistance the incandescent bulbs have at the dimmer switch, you could start by putting that size resistor into the circuit also at the dimmer switch, then incrementally lower ohms resistors until you "tune in" the dimming to your liking.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Aloha All, Thinking about changing my Stock Bulbs to LED Bulbs, would light to get the lights brighter inside and out side. Looking for feed back Good Bad idea, easy to do or pain in the ***? New site looking good I know it's a lot of work thank you.
If you only do two LED's, the dome light and the rear console light are a must because the incanescent bulbs get hot enough to deteriorate the plastic covers / lenses.

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
50 Posts
I agree with replacing the dome and console bulbs with LED's. That's only only place that they worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I used LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs to replace the dome, console (rear at ashtray) and footwell lights. Great mod, no problems and nice and bright. I'd pulled out the OEM style dome light years ago after it basically destroyed the plastic cover/lens so it was nice to get the dome light back. I also replaced the bulbs in my console mounted OEM gauges with no issues.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have looked into getting Super bright LED's for my dash, and saw that there's several different wattages available. (didn't want to do the trial and error) Do you remember what wattage you ordered for the gauges?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Since I replaced all the original gauges and indicators with SpeedHut electronic analog gauges, they have their own dimming function, small rotary dial. I'm installing Vintage Air right now, and wanted to know if there's a LED bulb that will backlight the 1969 slider unit or should I just stick with a conventional bulb? I haven't connected my dome light, want to use an LED there to prevent discoloring the plastic. I have a harness for my console, haven't connected that yet either. Gonna have fun wiring up the VA harness, will spread out the harness this weekend if possible and start running wires to wherever lol. I have the dash pad off, the gauge panel completely out, I wired that with Deutch style connectors to make it removeable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts