Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember reading a thread some time ago about the idiot lights in the dash for gen and oil etc on a 68. I'm adding a tic toc tach and the thread had to do with those lights being different when a tach was original. Some one had actually changed the text of one of those lights.

What is the correct text of those lights if a tach was original? Does anyone rmember the thread I'm thinking about?

I found the thread. It's http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161037&highlight=printer&page=2

Apparently the light for OIL should read FUEL when console gauges are addded. Anybody have any new input on this?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Right. Tach lights don't change. Speed-o changes to Fuel for low fuel warning. On '67s and '68s, the tach came w/ console gauges. The fuel gauge was relocated there making it less noticable, according to Chevy. So, they added the low fuel warning indicator to the dash cluster... On '69s, I believe one could order the tach w/o the console gauges. I also believe there was only one set of idiot light lenses in '69 and they just used the appropriate ones???

FYI, the FUEL lenses are no longer made in the aftermarket. That is why you read about people changing the text themselves... If one looks at pictures of aftermarket '67 speed-Os, they will notice the FUEL lens (OER)!

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am in the process now of changing my speedo lens to read FUEL instead of OIL. Did an original lens with the low fuel warning option in 68 look like a 67 or was it different? A 67 lens has FUEL in red against a black background (if the pics in the catalog are accurate). Was that the way a 68 should look or is it black FUEL against the red background?

As a note I ordered an OER lens and tried to remove the word OIL with no luck. How did any of you do that? If I can ever find the right kind of material I'm going to make one myself. The material is about .4 mm thick translucent plastric.

If it turns out good I should be able to reproduce it and I'll send one to anyone who wants one.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
My '68 is black background, red letters.

You might try plastic polish to get the OIL off? Then, you can probably just buy some decal paper to make your own version of the FUEL indicator. I've bought clear, transferable decal paper that is used with inkjet printers to creating decals. Should work once you figure out the font...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts