Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size charge wire do you guys recommend to run from the alternator to the battery? I have an 85amp alternator and i am running the wire from the alt. along the upper radiator hose, across the core support to the battery. Thanks!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! Thats kinda what i was aiming for, but no one around here has 8 gauge wire!! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The charging wire runs from the alternator to the common terminal on the horn relay and has a splice in it between the alternator and the horn relay that powers everyting in the car. That wire should be #8 with an 85 amp alternator. You could run 2 #10s in parallel as long as you connect them to common terminals (ring tongues) on each end. If you splice into these two wires you must splice to both of them at the same location. Electrical distribution gear wiring does this all the time to make high current connections in switchgear and transformers. Only restriction is that the wires must be run together from one end to the other.

The battery will never draw 85 amps to charge it so the charging wire from the horn relay terminal to the positive terminal could remain as a single #10.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark!! That post explained a lot! I think I'll try your idea. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
forget the factory way of doing things with the horn relay being between the battery and the alt- i have a cable the same size as the battery cable that goes to the starter solenoid from the positive battery terminal (6 gauge or so i think) going from the terminal on the back of the alt directly to the positive battery terminal. my whole electrical system is powered off a cop car accessory junction block that is mounted by the battery with another cable directly from the positive battery terminal- i used factory positive battery cables from an 87 Caprice cop car i parted out years ago that were all set up for this- but they are side post. they are actually 2 seperate cables stacked on the side post of the battery that each have 2 big wires coming out of the terminals.
that's the way GM has done it since at least the mid 80's, and it does get rid of a lot of extra wire and works really, really well..

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
So what is the wire size that Painless sells with their high amp alternator kit? I installed that a year ago and cant remember what size it was. I want to say 10awg if thats the case I need to redo it and double it with 2 tens which would be easier than redoing it with a single 8.???
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
fine- get a battery cable for a 92 Caprice with a 350 and the HD alternator- it has a longer wire that goes right from the post on the back of the alt (which is on the driver's side) over to the battery, and run a bigger power wire from the horn relay over to the post on the alt and throw out the factory wire from the battery to the horn relay. might be 5 minutes more work, but it will be better.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Novaderik,
My battery is in the trunk so my power comes off the solinoid to the accessary wire and also a distribution block for the lights& fan, am I wrong that way?
Thanks,
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts