Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 69 camaro that we put a big block amd a console shifter. i have a new alternator, battery and voltage regulator. with the car off, it has 12.56 volts, and with it running it draws amps!!!!! the car has an msd 6al in it too. also the car wont rev above 4000 rpms. not sure if this is connected as i dont think the msd is getting enough juice. thanks in advance!!!!!

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
My first guess is you hooked your msd up to the cloth covered wire from the fuse box? If so, that is not full 12v all the time... just my guess.
Also you said a new volt. regulator, did you get the new electronic type , Wells VR715? If you got the old style point type, it might be defective.

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
Run the engine at 2000 rpm and measure the charging voltage across the battery posts, it reads? Should be above 13.5-13.8 volts, maybe 14, and would be good. one circuit to check is the red wire, alt BATT stud wire, all the way back to the battery post. Should be less than 0.3 volt difference between the two posts

If ammeter is showing a discharge at idle, and with a electronic VR, this is abnormal.
Ensure the VR chassis is making a good contact with the radiator support, a good ground. ensure the red pigtail from the positive cable to the junction block to the horn relay buss bar to the alt stud are clean and tight.

You can disconnect the MSD box, go back to basics, and see if charging system works and if engine revs past 4K rpm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts