Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. need some help here.

Recently installed a 1 wire 100 amp alt. on my small block 69. During the day with my electric fan and stereo cranked waaaaaaaay up (3 large amplifiers) the alt. puts out 13.5 to 14 volt all day long.

At night when I turn on my lights only, 11.5 at idle and 12 at cruise. If I did my math right my headlights are drawing less than 10 amps (Slyvania Xtra Bright rated at 55/65 watts). What is going on here. When my fan kicks in its even worse.

So I guess my question is what am I looking for? I just cant believe that my lights that draw 5 times less amps than my stereo are doing this. What should I check? Thanx in advance. Sean

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee thanx,

I kinda of figured that was a given.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Sayers,

If the alt is in fact putting out 100 amps it should handle all this.you need to check or replace your alt belt.Here is how to check the alt belt with engine off if you can turn the alt by hand,making the belt slip the belt is to loose for this kind of load.When you check the belt get a grip on the alt pulley and give it all you got,and if it slips that is the problem.It don't matter how tight the belt is,if the pulleys or the belt either one are worn and the belt is bottomed out in the pulley it won't pull the load.

Larry

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where are you checking the voltage? Is it really dropping that low AT the battery? If you are looking at an instrument cluster the volt meter may be connected to a source that is dropping lower than the rest of the car when the headlights are on. If your voltage is really that low, you should be noticing dimmed lights. I assume the pulleys are normal size and not under driven? Why did you change alternators? Did you have a voltage problem before you changed the alternator?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts