Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I come to you fellas for help. I came home from a cruise night last week and my lights were kinda dim. Since I have been too lazy to wire up my volt gauge I checked with my meter and it looked like my bling bling one wire alternator went bad. I replaced it with another spare 1 wire and I just want to make sure things are working like they should. I have been under the impression the alternator is supposed to bring the voltage back up to what it puts out after the lights or electric fan come on. Mine doesnt get back to the voltage it started at , its close but doesnt climb back up to starting voltage. I need to know if I have an issue or not. Heres my setup:

New Optima Red battery reads 12.6 when cars sitting not running
one wire alternator 100 amp w 10ga wire direct to pos post on bat . puts out 14.50v at alt post (1700 rpm)
I have grounds all over the car..frame to body, body to bat, engine to body.

Battery reads 14.37 when running (1700 rpm)
fan goes on voltage drops to 14.14
I turn on lights and voltage drops to 14.0 maybe under 14.

The battery sometimes reads into the 13.5 - 14.00 voltage range while running with lights and fan running

I have nothing else electrical (no radio yet) only my MSD box.

Is this setup working correctly or is my alt not charging enough when a load is on? I took it and it tested ok but I just want to be sure.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

I read some previous posts but wasnt completelt sure. Hope Everett can chime in and let me know if my charging system checks out ok...

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
Reads like its working fine. Voltage is going to drop with heavy loads applied.
Want to get an eye-opener, place a 60-0-60 ammeter between the BAT stud and red wire and view the indication, lots of current.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
100 amps should be enough to power anything and everything in a firstgen, without any voltage drop.

But the standard wiring isn't big enough to handle 100 amps.
Where does your alternator connect to?
Are you using the original wire to the horn relay?

If you are, it needs to be bigger. Replace it with a 6 gauge or even a 4 gauge wire, OR (cheating here) parrallel a new 10 gauge wire along side the original.
Do the same with the wire running from the horn relay to the battery.
And make sure all your high power draws are relay controlled, and the power for the relays taps off as close to the alternator as possible. Ideally, a 6 guage wire running to a relay board near the horn relay that controls all the big loads.

The above assume your 67 has a drivers side alternator mount and near stock wiring.

Also Everett, and you should know this. There should be very little current running into or out of the battery. A fully charged battery draws little power, and a properly designed system will meet all the loads without discharging the battery.

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
Also Everett, and you should know this. There should be very little current running into or out of the battery. A fully charged battery draws little power, and a properly designed system will meet all the loads without discharging the battery.
True JimM, I suggested the tempoary location of ammeter to show the owner the amount of current demanded by the loads selected.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..Everett, as always thanks for chiming in and helping me!
Jim...I just ran a new 10 ga wire bypassing the original wire that ran to the horn relay. I had a new relay and swapped that too just because I was in there but its not in the chain anymore. The new wire just runs directly to the pos batt terminal. I have my fan on a relay switch but thats all I have thats drawing alot of power. I'll get some 6 ga wire and run it form the alt to batt just to be safe. going out for a spin now.
J
Another question...I just disconnected the original wire that ran to the horn relay from the alt and taped it up and hid it with my RS wiring under the fender. Its still hot but taped up good, I think that wire split and ran to sometjing else in the harnes so I didnt disconnect it from the horn relay. Is that wire splitting to feed something else and am I ok just to leave it live? I have to get a better look to see if its a solo wire or splitting like I think...thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
It supplies the rest of the car electrical system, might hook it up just for giggles. Ain't gonna hurt and provide peace of mind don't have to worry about the pigtail coming out and touching other foreign material.
I don't have a '67 manual here at home, so I'm guessing from a '68 manual.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya mean leave it hooked up to the alt even though I have another dedicated line running from the alt direct to the batt pos post?

It supplies the rest of the car electrical system, might hook it up just for giggles. Ain't gonna hurt and provide peace of mind don't have to worry about the pigtail coming out and touching other foreign material.
I don't have a '67 manual here at home, so I'm guessing from a '68 manual.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts