Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a blown 1968 Camaro with a 468.The elec componets are a 7-al2, csi water pump, fan, fuel pump, nos. He had a 61 amp alt and was getting 13.5 volts at the alt and 12.3 volts at the battery ( trunk mount). He switched to a cs130 105 amp and the volts at the alt are 14.5 and 13.3 at the battery.

Is this enough or does he still need more at the battery for a street car ? I was thinking he needs 14.2 at the battery.

He has a 12 gauge wire going from the alt to a junction block, then a 2 gauge wire going to the battery. At the junction block is where all the other elec componets get their power from too. If he goes straight from the alt to the battery and then comes back to all the elec componets with a seperate wire will this get that 1.1 volt back that he's loosing ? Also what size battery is recommended for this application ? the car won't start when it gets to 180 or above.

thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
"He switched to a cs130 105 amp and the volts at the alt are 14.5 and 13.3 at the battery."

What do you measure at the junction block?

"Is this enough or does he still need more at the battery for a street car ? I was thinking he needs 14.2 at the battery."

13.5 volts into the battery is enough to hold it up.

"He has a 12 gauge wire going from the alt to a junction block, then a 2 gauge wire going to the battery. At the junction block is where all the other elec componets get their power from too. If he goes straight from the alt to the battery and then comes back to all the elec componets with a seperate wire will this get that 1.1 volt back that he's loosing?"

Try running a larger gage from the alternator to the junction block. It's almost the same thing and saves you from replacing the long run of #2 that you have in already. Depending on what you measure (above) at the junction block, this may be the way to go. Don't expect to get all of that 1.2 volts back. All you need is a little of it.

"Also what size battery is recommended for this application?"

I don't have an answer for this. Don't know what CCA a blown BBC takes. Hopefully someone else knows.

"the car won't start when it gets to 180 or above."

This may not be a battery problem. May be the starter hasn't got enough torque to turn the large engine, may be an old solenoid, an off brand cheap solenoid, a hot solenoid.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would run an 8 gauge wire from the alt. to the junction block and another 8 gauge wire from the junction block or alt. to the BAT terminal on the starter. Also make sure the negative cable back at the battery is properly grounded and try a 4 or 2 gauge strap from the frame to the engine. If everything's connected properly the difference between the alt. and battery voltages shouldn't be more than a tenth or two.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run 0 guage welding cable from my cutoff switch to the starter and only have .3 volt drop between the altinator and the battery post. Check your connections to be sure they are clean. 13.5 volts is enough to keep the battery charged but with a nice setup like your friend has I wouldn't go cheap on cable and connectors. Good luck.
Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts