Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to take my son to the Charlotte Autofair on 13 April.

I am a 12-year veteran of Spring/Fall Carlisle but have never attended an Autofair.

Could you all please share your experiences attending the fair, advice for a 1st timer and recommendations of things to do or avoid?

I'd rather save the "lessons learned" and just have a good time. I'll be looking for Camaro parts and interesting car-related stuff.

I welcome any input you may have but am specifically seeking the following information:

1. Hotels--should I stay close? Any good hotel deals?
2. Parking?
3. Food?
4. Best place to start once I get to the fair (looking for used parts mostly)
5. How long do I need to see most of the AutoFair?

Thanks everyone. If anyone needs Carlisle advice let me know...

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Re: Charlotte Autofair April 2007--Anyone have any advice for a 1st timer?

1. Probally too late to get one close by but there should be plenty up and down I-85.

2. Parking is no problem because of it being at the track but count on $5.00 each time.

3. Plenty of fast food vendors inside the track but it's pricey (I'm cheap).

4. In the infield and outside on the backside of the track.

5. Two days at least and that's walking alot at that. Your butt will be draging if you see it all in two days.

·
Registered
103 Posts

The Auto Fair, my favorite show, can't wait to get there! Here a few random things. It's huge! I could be wrong but I'd guess at least double the size of Carlisle. Everyone packs up and goes home on Sunday. You definitely want to be there on Friday and Saturday. Again, its huge! Make sure you bring your walking shoes. You will need every bit of the 2 days to see everything and I would bet you won't make it to everything, especially if you are going to talk to anyone about anything. The car corral is on the track, 2 deep, some sections are 3 deep, side by side, for a mile and a half! So, just to see all the cars for sale you've already walked a mile and a half. It is by far my favorite show of the year. Send me a PM if you have any questions, this will be our 4th time going.

Here's a link with info, in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

Make sure you click on the event picture link

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I was there ONCE........Walked for two days, I dont how far, but bet I covered 10 miles. I found little, if any real used Camaro parts from amatuer sellers. Most everything was from large vendors with no deals. I suppose there are some decent car deals if youre early.
Dont know anything about you or your son.........but this type of long distance (walking) show is only for the hard core..

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hmmmm....sounds like we really need to pace ourselves...we normally walk for 8 hours straight at Carlisle and see only 80% in one day.

Anyone familiar with an option to just camp out near showers and rough it a bit to be closer in and save $$'s?

·
Registered
103 Posts

Just checked, Carlisle is 82 acres for everything, the Auto Fair is 150 acres of swap meet, not including car coral or show car areas. I'm not sure about camping or showers. There are a lot of hotels within 20 mins of the track. We stay a couple of exits down and I think it is like 15 mins to the track.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just found a campground right next to the speedway with "ultra modern" showers for $25 per night. It's within a short walking distance and the temps in April look to be in the high 60's at night. Sounds like fun--we might take that route and spend the savings on parts/food/other fun...

Costs $25 per night versus $100 for a hotel room and fighting trafffic each way to the Autofair...

·
Registered
348 Posts

Me and Angie are totally shot after trying to hit the whole swap meet in one day. The vendors start to pull out Sunday morning. A lot of good show cars are hidden under the grand stands and outside the track. The cars in the car corral are GHASTLY overpriced! Take lots of Gatorade, and pack a lunch. Oh yeah, it usually rains in April.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot about the rain! Definitely bring an umbrella. The last few times it has been showers, never a constant rain. Last year it was cloudy when we went in, calling for showers. I left my hat at the hotel, the sun came out and I got the worst sun burn on my head that I have ever had!

·
Registered
355 Posts

at this point I going to be there....its like a little piece of heaven for me seeing all these nice cars!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts