Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some thoughts on where to start trying to find this bugger. When it's shorting out, this is what happens;

- The interior lights stay on (dash lights are NOT affected).

-Turn signals light but they don't blink.

-Brake lights stop working.

If anyone can help narrow this down it would make my life alot easier - I'm not all that great at electrical.

Thanks!
Chad

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
With the interior lights staying on.. that can be either a bad door switch or the light switch. I'd look at a door switch.

As for blinkers..separate circuit so check the flasher itself.

Brake lights.. switch located above the brake pedal mounted to column. again separate circuit.

Look at the fuse block. thats the only common item in all the circuits.

What about tail lights?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Check the rear body harness connector. It is located above the emergency brake pedal. Has about 12 wires going through it which may explain what you're seeing. If it is connected, shine up the terminals the best you can with a shred of sand paper or whatever you've got. Then before connecting it, dope it up with dielectric grease. You can pick it up at most autoparts stores for a few bucks. It looks like clear RTV, but its a grease that doesn't harden and helps keep oxygen and moisture away from your freshly brightened terminals.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tail lights work. I'm thinking the fuse block. All of those things happen at once, never individually.

The strangest part about the whole thing is, it was fine when I put it away last winter. I fired it up this spring and there it was. :mad:

Thanks Nantooch and Dave. At least I know where to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts