Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im in the process of upgrading my brakes on my 69. The wheels that are going on the car are probably going to 18's, so im trying to get some of the most impressive brakes to hide behind these huge Rims.

The largest brake rotor i've been able to find is off of a 1994 Corevette ZR1 that comes in @ 13.00 Inches. I've been scouring the internet looking for anything larger and so far i've come up short. Are there any other companies that might have a larger brake rotor with the same Chevy bolt pattern, or should i be damn happy with a 13" rotor?!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: Cheap Big Braakes

13 is pretty big, i just bought some c5 rotors off e-bay for my car for 15x.00 dollars w/ free shipping from advance brake technology. Sombined with the calipers(slightly used) i bought for 25 I may have the ultimate cheap big brakes lol.

·
Registered
832 Posts

I think the absolute minimum for those brakes is a 17 inch wheel so thats probably as big as you can go anyway

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts

have you done a search over at pro touring??

·
Registered
107 Posts

Hey, im in the process of upgrading my brakes on my 69. The wheels that are going on the car are probably going to 18's, so im trying to get some of the most impressive brakes to hide behind these huge Rims.

The largest brake rotor i've been able to find is off of a 1994 Corevette ZR1 that comes in @ 13.00 Inches. I've been scouring the internet looking for anything larger and so far i've come up short. Are there any other companies that might have a larger brake rotor with the same Chevy bolt pattern, or should i be damn happy with a 13" rotor?!
Check out Kore3 http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10103-03 . These don't work with most 18" wheels though. Also, wilwood http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKitList.aspx?year=1969&make=Chevrolet&model=Camaro has a set up. I'm currently going through the same process and can't make up my mind which would be a better option. The Z06 is obviously cheaper for the same size rotor and 6 piston caliper, but it'll require more expensive custom wheels to fit. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I think maybe you're not visualizing how massive a 13" brake really is and what it'll look like in an 18" rim. The viewed inside area of the rim is going to be maybe 16" so you shouldn't have more than 1.5" of space around the disc edge showing. Remember there has to be room for the caliper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think maybe you're not visualizing how massive a 13" brake really is and what it'll look like in an 18" rim. The viewed inside area of the rim is going to be maybe 16" so you shouldn't have more than 1.5" of space around the disc edge showing. Remember there has to be room for the caliper.
Excellent point. So with the 13" Corvette rotors, what calipers would be best suited for this application?? I'd like to have a 4piston caliper but i dont think there will be enough space on the outside to fit them in there. Would a single or dual piston caliper be more applicable?? And if so, what do u guys think would be the best car to take them from?? 98-02 Camaro or firebird (12"), Jeep cherokee SRT-8 (14.28"), Corvette (13"), etc.??

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should look at the wheel size on the vette the brakes are coming off. I would also suggest using the calipers from that set up you got the rotors from. Can't go wrong with the engineering that went into the system from the factory. Your car will stop in a heart beat if you get the MC sizing right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts