Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a functional custom looking interior and think I have found a way to do it for cheap.

Dash: http://www.covansclassic.com/parts/description.php?II=29&UID=200302160700294.62.252.75

Get the dash without gauges ($199.00) and buy the ones you need from summit, it will cost you alot less.

Console: http://www.vamustang.com/images/st321black.jpg

I found this looking through a classic mustang catalog. I figure if it works in a mustang might as well work in a camaro. The picture has an ugly american flag console lid but you can order it without it. The console gives you 2 cup holders and a place for your cell phone. I plan on buying one of these and using a quarter stick shifter along with the shifter boot.

My friends nova has a humphugger console in it (not the cruiser) and it looks and functions well. Cant beat the price of the console for only $170. Just thought I would share my ideas.

Justin

[This message has been edited by MY FIRST 69 (edited 02-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MY FIRST 69 (edited 02-16-2003).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
$800 for a dast. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would stick with the orginal and get the console gauges. $40 at Jegs for the housing, you supply the gauges. As for the console, you can get a complete aftermark one from year 1 for $300.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dash would be a cheap investment (well to me it is) I got a new OER dash for a 69 ($200) and all the lenses for the speedo and tach ($60) a yenko speedo 140mph and a z28 tach ($400) all from Classic thats like $700. The dash from covans is only $199 without the gauges. The gauges from summit will save you amlost $300 on the total cost of the complete dash.

Autometer phantom gauges
3 3/4 speedo $75
3 3/4 tach $89
2 1/16 oil $55
2 1/16 volt $34
2 1/16 Fuel $34
2 1/16 temp $41

total for dash and gauges $527

And for the console.
http://www.classicconsoles.com/camarosfirebirds.htm
This link is for the camaro version of the humphugger console that does not come with a shift boot or place for you console. Its for an existing console. I just thought it would be nice not to use the factory interior pieces for a full custom look. I think the factory gauges and autometers togeather looks ugly, I really think its ugly when the tach is mounted on the steering colum.

Justin

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
That Plug and Chug is kinda cool. When your done using it just put the ashtray back in and you have the original look back in seconds. This would be good thing to have on cruise nights and shows etc. The only console that looks good in my opinion are the ones from the LS1 Camaros and firebirds and of course the factory 67-69 consoles. If your after custom take a look at some of the cars with the late model console in them they look great. The parking brake mounting is also a cool way to go with these. I fI had the money to spend I could see LS1 seats and a console in my car. Some one on this site has it in a first gen and it looks great. :cool:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey Justin, I have a broken 67 console that I'd be willing to sell you for less than what you are considering. I think this console originally had a clock installed where the console guages go. Why do I say this?, because it has the screw holes and a center hole punched out. The only thing wrong is someone cut the silver trim where the shifter sits so the silver trim does not completely surround the shifter area. Not trying to be smart or condesending, but I think it would look better.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a complete 69 console that I rebuilt with new parts. I have a new console lid, ashtray lid, shift works detent plate, factory shifter, seat belt holder, lights, and bezels. I think I am going to buy the mustang console and see how it fits with the stock seats. If it doesnt work out I will just return it. Im not going to order it from the web, I just looked around for a picture to show you guys. I have a mustangs unlimited catalog (its like our classic or ricks) and Ill get it from them. I am for sure going to get a covans dash, I have the autometer pod for the console but since I dont have to mount the gauges that low I want something different than the stock piece. I also plan on using a pistol grip quarter stick, Ill see if I can squeez it in that stang unit.

Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts