Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in my 1986 CAMARO is Carbureted, 305 ci with HEI ignition. I replaced the distributor with a rebuilt unit from Auto Zone and put in an MSD coil. At vehicle inspection (mandatory in TX) the mechanic informed me that the distributor was positioned "..TWO TEETH OFF..". Is this possible, and if so could it be the source of my second problem with the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR? This 2nd problem illuminates the CHECK ENGINE light when the vehicle IS NOT in motion, but the lamp goes out when the vehicle is under way. There does not appear to be a connection between the two problems. HAYNES MANUAL says to disregard this indication if this lamp comes on with the vehicle standing still. Everything under the hood has been replaced except the alternator and the power brake unit. The engine was brand new, not rebuilt, and the remainder are all rebuilt units. Gentlemen, any help will be appreciated.
Thanks for your assistance.:confused:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Yes, a code 24 (VSS) should be disregarded if it sets when not in motion.

On those the TPS in the carb is one thing that could set a false code 24. It is not adjustable, and must be replaced if it's bad. It needs to be scanned to really check it correctly, even though there is a way to backprobe the wires.

The carb has lots of adjustments involved. The rich stop/lean stop/mixture control solenoid is especially critical. It can be done with a dwell meter, but a scanner is again preferred.

The distributor being "2 teeth off" is wrong if the car runs and timing is set right.

·
3,564 Posts
Walter,
Just replaced the TPS in my Wifes 84 Riviera Q-jet for the same reason ... false code 24. If you go through the GM troubleshooting chart, you will find it. You need some special tools to adjust the TPS when you are done, IF that is your problem too.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you can just about put a sbc distributor in upside down and make it run...rotor location is a preference Not a requirement...i usually have #1 just before the coil connections on the cap, but i like it there...someone else could like it pointing straight forward...as long as the firing order is correct and the rotor points to #1, you can get it in time...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GENTLEMEN: I thank each of you for your response to my questions. I understand now that the problem is most likely in the carb and since I'm not equipped to handle that type of work, it is best to refer same to a qualified technician. THANKS AGAIN, You have been a big help. WALT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts