Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've got a stock automatic tranny on my 350 and i put in a 2500 stall and well it seems like it shifts WAY too soon. i floor it and it will start to go then right where it seems to begin to hit the powerband it shifts and i lose RPM and power big time. i can manually do it, but is there anything that i can do or anything that needs to be fixed so that it will rev up to closer to redline when i get on it? thanks

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
it may already be an adjustable mod. i think they usually have an orange stripe around them. pull off your vac. line and see if there's a flat blade screw in there(w/a little screwdriver), if there is, its adjustable, and you should be able to get shift point dead nuts. if not, get one, the're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Usually those adjustable vacuum modulators can only adjust the shift point by a few mph...doesn't sound to me like that is what you are looking for. Is your tranny kickdown linkage hooked up and adjusted properly? If so, I think the next step is something like a B&M shift point adjustment kit. I believe you can add this without dropping the tranny or spilling a drop of fluid. It consists of different weights and springs for the governor that controls the shift points. If I remember correctly, they are under $50.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One thing to remember about stall converters - torque determines the stall speed. If you don't have much torque, the stall will be lower, almost stock. If you have a lot of torque, the stall will be higher. Maybe you don't have as much torque as you thought.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i dont want by any means to start anything, but i have a TH350 w/ a part. manual valve body(no kickdown,but it will shift automatically) and a 3300 stall and adj. mod., and i can adjust it from shifting almost immediatly to wondering if its gonna shift at all, nothing personal though, travis!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My first thought would be the kickdown linkeage.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 68rs406:
i dont want by any means to start anything, but i have a TH350 w/ a part. manual valve body(no kickdown,but it will shift automatically) and a 3300 stall and adj. mod., and i can adjust it from shifting almost immediatly to wondering if its gonna shift at all, nothing personal though, travis!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats interesting...I have an adjustable unit on mine (2000 stall) and it makes very little difference in the shift point. Do you remember what brand yours is?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and also, now that the put the new tranny in, it wobbles big time. like it feels like a wheel in front is about to fall off or something, but thats not the case i dont know what is making it wobble. could it be something with the driveshaft when they hooked it up or what? any ideas? i have 355 tires on back and air shocks raised up so it doesnt rub too.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
travis, strange, i dont know what type of mod. mine is, the guy who built the tranny put it on. i think it has an orange stripe on it, but i havn't been under there lately(luckily! ) the guy who built it is a local guy, does a lot of trannys for my buddies and local drag cars. out of his house! it's a pretty bad-*** tranny. racerfoo, what part moves around like your'e describing? something does'nt sound right.

·
Registered
650 Posts
About the "wobble", is it an intense vibration? Failure to synchronize the yokes of the U-joints would make for a horrific shaking of the vehicle (not to mention very short U-joint life). I doubt a qualified shop would do this, but back yard mechanics sometime do it, lol.

If it honestly feels like a wheel is about to come off, it may be wise to have a buddy lean out the window as you drive down the road to see if there is a wheel that does indeed wobble.

I really need to know just what this "wobble" feels like in order to even begin guessing accurately, can you be a bit more specific?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by travis:
Thats interesting...I have an adjustable unit on mine (2000 stall) and it makes very little difference in the shift point. Do you remember what brand yours is?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto . . . please tell me what brand too - I have one with an orange stripe and is has about a 10 mph range total. Mine shifts too soon in drive for my liking.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
ill climb under my car this weekend and see what i can find out.its been several months since i put my converter in so i havnt messed w/ the tranny since then. im sure i was able to get more than 10 mph variance, but i could be wrong. i know i played w/ the shift points after i put the converter in, and could for sure make a big "seat of pants" diffrence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BreathWeapon:
About the "wobble", is it an intense vibration? Failure to synchronize the yokes of the U-joints would make for a horrific shaking of the vehicle (not to mention very short U-joint life). I doubt a qualified shop would do this, but back yard mechanics sometime do it, lol.

If it honestly feels like a wheel is about to come off, it may be wise to have a buddy lean out the window as you drive down the road to see if there is a wheel that does indeed wobble.

I really need to know just what this "wobble" feels like in order to even begin guessing accurately, can you be a bit more specific?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well the wobble is sorta like driving down the road and well it feels like one wheel is lobsided or something. it goes back and forth wobbling....not like a jerking or anythign but its smooth it just feels wierd. i took it to the alignment shop and they said they would try to fix it...ill find out monday. what is this about a shifting setter though? i want to be able to set my shift point, where it is now is too soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my friend has same tranny as me and 350 engine also and when he floors it, it shifts outta first at like 45-50. mine shifts at like 20 or so, it will downshift hard! but from a stop or anyting in drive it wont do it, i dont know why!! help!!

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
My TH350 came out of the tranny shop a month ago just before I bought the car. It shifts 1st to 2nd at about 10mph with a solid 'thud', then shifts to 3rd at about 25mph with a softer shift. Can those shift points be changed? If so, how? Can that solid 'thud' be softened up a bit?

------------------
69RS Ermine White,Blue Vinyl top,spoilers,shoulder belts,
pdb,ps,am/fm,TH350,3.07Diff,A/C,fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by click:
My TH350 came out of the tranny shop a month ago just before I bought the car. It shifts 1st to 2nd at about 10mph with a solid 'thud', then shifts to 3rd at about 25mph with a softer shift. Can those shift points be changed? If so, how? Can that solid 'thud' be softened up a bit?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is pretty much what im experiencing. except if im moving at like 20 or 30 and floor it, it will drop down to 1st..so it kicks down just fine. but after the kickdown it still shifts right away. its something to do with it shifting up too soon. its not at all like it was from the factory.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Could the spring in the accumulator be broken? The accumulator is on the passenger side of the trans between two pipe plugs. I'm rebuilding mine and found the spring broken into about 5 pieces. Mine was also shifting from 1st to 2nd way too soon in drive, but I had some other problems too - so I don't know for sure if repairing the spring will fix the shift points.

You can get at the spring with the trans still in the car pretty easily. There's an inside snap ring holding the cover on, pull it out with a scribe. Then with a pair of channel locks carefully rock the cover back and forth while pulling it out. The spring is right behind the cover.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts