Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always toyed with the idea of putting chrome side pipes on my 67 RS convertible. I
ask friends and family members what they think. It always seems to be about 50% for, &
50% against. Has anyone ever seen a RS convertible like this before? Is there a picture of one anywhere on the web? Do any of you 1st generation fans have an opinion on the pro & cons of such a system. I’m talking about the “hot rod” style side pipes, not the 67 Corvette style with the exhaust covers.

·
Registered
26 Posts

[This message has been edited by 69 BMotion (edited 07-27-2002).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
baldwin , corvette side exhausts $275.00 with exchange for original standard equipment.The phase 3 68 ss-427 camaro was guaranteed to turn at least 120 mph in 11.50 seconds or better.$4,998.88 I like this, "On full race ss 427's plan to bring a trailer to take it home.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It is your car, do what YOU like...but I think you will find more people rolling thier eyes rather than giving a thumbs up.

------------------
1969 "Touring" Pace Car, Full Hotchkis Suspension, Bilstein Shocks, AGR Steering, 352CI Dynoed 470hp/430Tq - Winston Cup Airbox, 18X9-18X8 Centerline Lazers, Baer Track Brakes. Still "Under Construction"
1969 Touring Pace Car

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
i agree with crossram. you have a 67 rs vert already. you should already be getting alot of people checking out your ride and think it ways way cool becuase it is. if you put on the side pipes, im sure you will be getting mixed reviews with some people likeing it and some people hating it. i say keep it off.

but its your car. do what you want.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think they look nice on coupes that are going for the "muscular" look. (rear slightly lifted, big meats, Cragar SS's). But I've seen one convertible with them, & it looked BAD. (not bad-good, bad-bad). It just didn't look "right". IMHO
But...... It's your car, do it like you want it. No matter what you do, somebody will love it & somebody will hate it.
Brichead

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Its a pretty expensive move to buy the pipes. They're sold in the PAW catalogs. I figure if they sell them, someone must be buying them, but I never see anyone with them on their camaro. I've always really liked the 67 vett with the pipes, so I've thought a camaro convertible RS would look cool with the top down. I could see a lot of people thinking its just "too much" though. Maybe the next car I resore will be a 67 vett. I've already been doing camaro convertibles for the better part of 20 years.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My dad had Chrome Hooker sidepipes on his Candy red 69 Convertible Vette. They sounded AWESOME!!! I loved the sound. It could be heard for blocks kind of like a Harley. They look great on a C3 Vette for sure. I have some fond memories of driving that car as a teenager to school, proms, Karen and Pam, Como park, but I digress....

They are just not as pretty on a first gen Camaro for some reason. There was a guy with a very old set of custom made NOS Doug Thorely chrome plated sidemount headers for a 67-69 Camaro on ebay a few months ago. You could have had these brand new beautiful thick custom made sidemounts for a SONG! Nobody bid on them at $500 opening bid. I was very close to buying them for myself but I already have a new chambered exhaust and I am going for the "Resto-rod" theme so I did pass on them.

I do plan on building a stick shift convertible Corvette with those style side pipes some day. It is on my "list of things to do before I die".

-Mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.