Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - what's some of the best products and methods you've used to get your trim around the windows and doors looking great and taking surface grime and scratches out while polishing them? I know that there are thousands of products out there but would like some of your opinions on what's worked best.

Many thanks in advance,
Al

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get the book "How To Restore Metal Auto Trim" by Jeff Lilly. Its available at Amazon and is less than $25.00. Its very thorough and you will learn from a pro.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the book "How To Restore Metal Auto Trim" by Jeff Lilly. Its available at Amazon and is less than $25.00. Its very thorough and you will learn from a pro.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Do you have any dents or low spots in the stainless? You would be surprised how easy it is to remove them.

You could use a dremel tool to polish the stainless. Use the red rouge polish for the first pass.

I used my leftover Meguiar's headlight restoration kit for final polishing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm following, I had a body shop marr my trim all up during some wet sanding.
I'd like to be able to do mine without removing it from the car, maybe mask it off really well and go at it.

Is the repop stuff stainless or aluminum?

·
14,960 Posts
I'm following, I had a body shop marr my trim all up during some wet sanding.
I'd like to be able to do mine without removing it from the car, maybe mask it off really well and go at it.

Is the repop stuff stainless or aluminum?
Stainless.

I bought a buffer and stand from Harbor freight years ago and using the correct polishing compound it does a great job. Dremels and polishing wheels on drill motors just don't work that well.

Reactions: Troutslayer

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Will give some of these a try. Mine is currently on the car, so I will mask off and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
You can buy a tool for a few bucks that slides between the glass and molding to pop off the trim. They sell them at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Assume you're referring to the windshield and back glass?
Yea, the molding is held on by the black clip thingies bolted to the frame. They are shown in the photos below.

The bottom molding is held on by screws.

My back glass (plastic) is held on by staples. o_O Yours probably uses clips like the windshield.

Reactions: Troutslayer

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one of those tools but I am afraid to break a clip or something and cause an issue getting them back on, is taking them off fairly straightforward?
Thanks for the pics, know where the clips are and what they look like really helps.
Yea, the molding is held on by the black clip thingies bolted to the frame. They are shown in the photos below.

The bottom molding is held on by screws.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Moldings were stainless and flash chromed. If you sand or polish them, the result can lead to an inconsistent appearance. Flash chroming gave the stainless a blue hue and kept the moldings looking new. Sand through it and it becomes yellow after polishing.

Just use the tool and remove the moldings. It is a very easy thing to do. If the clips are smoked just buy new ones from your local jobber. I stock numerous clips from Auveco and W&E.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
How are the clips attached to the car?

Are they in under the glass?
there are "posts" the clips attach to and they are not "under" the glass. Sometimes they have rusted off or broken and people use a "screw" to replace them although you likely need to remove glass to do the screw thing

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
My clips are the replacement screw in type. There are some clips along the top of the windshield.

There are clips along the sides of the windshield.

The bottom molding is held on with screws. The windshield wiper arms will have to come off to get to the screws.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts