Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I have made up my mind about purchasing repro trim rings I have another decision to make. I understand they make trim rings in either chrome or stainless. Now which do I buy? I know stainless will last longer but not shine as well. More sleep to lose now. Thanks again for all your help. AS you can tell I am a first time camaro owner and these small decisions seem to add up in a hurry

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's up to you.I would go with the stainless.Just looks better to me and more correct.Chrome looks to repo.

------------------
70 z/28 4sp,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes,2000 v8 Grand cherokee.(Former Know it All)

·
Registered
140 Posts
go with SS. If you get opportunity, look at several SS and chromed repros side by side (like at a big car show -- Carlisle).

You will see the chromed rings vary in level of yellowness. Some look as good as SS, but most have a terrible gold tint. Maybe a reaction to the poor quality metal under the chrome???

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
If you have a good arm and elbow technique you can polish stainless steel to a level so it resembles chrome, it's all about time and patience.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Don't forget, chrome can start peeling over time and rust can start pitting after only a couple of dogs.
Well, it seems like just a couple of them anyway.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I agree, go with stainless steel. I have Chrome Rally's wheels on my 1969 now. I bought them used along with the tires. The main reason I bought them is because the tires were in excellent shape and I have four "correct" silver painted 15 " Rally's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts