Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 and wanted to hook up my fm transmitter to the cig lighter and realized that it is dead. I checked the fuse panel and not sure if I am checking the correct fuse. CLK LTR is the closest resembelance I can come up with for the cig ligther but it appears the fuse is fine.

Am I checking the right fuse? What else should I look into?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The fuse is labewlle clk-cty-ltr though the letting is probably worn. The wire is orange. If your courtesy lights work, the fuse is good.

It could be the wire fell off the back of the lighter, otr it could be the contacts on the inside of the lighter socket are correded or bent, and not making good contact. I had that with mine, the lighter would even work (if I pushed it in and held it) but accessories I plugged in wouldn't work.

The lighter socket is not reproduced.

Make sure the wire is on the back.
Clean up the contacts with steel wool and/or a pencil eraser (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY OR PULL THE FUSE, THIS 20 AMP CIRCUIT IS ALWAYS HOT!!!)

I eventually attached (with velcro) a 3 socket auxiliary connector under the front seat, and rons right by there on the way to the light in the back of the console.wered it from the orange wire in the console, ru

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I think Jim and Ron have about covered it, but I wanted to comment on your "the fuse looks good statement". These old cars often develop a layer of rust on the fuse terminals. By using a volt meter referenced to a good ground, you may find that you have power on the fuse terminal, but not the end of the fuse itself. But as Jim said, if the courtesy lights work, then the circuit power is fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
courtesy lights are working. when i pulled out the fuse the convertible top would not operate and put the fuse back in and seemed to operate fine. There is a little rust i noticed on the terminals and the socket does seem a little loose as i can move it around a bit. I did trace the wire and it does seem to be connected. I will try cleaning the contacts next and to see if i can somehow tighten the socket down a little more although I can not see too well back there so not sure how to handle tightening.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The cig lighter has a metal barrel that screws around the guts and pinches the dash panel between the crimp on the front and the metal barrel. I'd cut power to the circuit so you can stick the prongs of a pair of needle nose pliers inside the socket to act as a spanner wrench while you tighten the barrel with your free hand behind the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts