Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time someone is under the dash of their 69 Camaro, look and see where the cig. lighter wire comes out of the wiring harness. I had my complete dash on the work bench and did not notice, until I put my dash back in, that I don't have a wire to hook to my cig. lighter. The light wire is there, just not the heavy wire that feeds the lighter itself. If I can't find it I'll have to run one from the fuse panel. Evidently it was cut off flush coming out of the harness tape and I didn't notice it. I even have digital pic of the harness and don't see it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
I may be mistaken but I thought all 69's used a piece of fiber optic to iluminate the ashtray. That would leave a single wire for the lighter itself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennis,
Mine has a light bulb to illuminate the ashtray, a 20 ga. orange wire feeds it. If I rememer correctly there is an orange 16 ga. wire that heats up the cig. lighter. No fiber optics on mine.
Guy

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
I thought the extra wire was for for a glove box light option, that is close to the ashtray. I also thought the ashtray light was fiberoptic off a dash light, maybe an elec. guru will know for sure?

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
The AIM shows the cig lighter coming off the loom that terminates on the blower motor(heater resistor). It has a single female round post connector. The glove box lamp wire should be there with it and has a flat male connector. I don't have an orig wire loom under my dash but I think it's correct. It looks like the AIM as far as where the wires are... The end of the loom has a 3 conductor connector and the lighter and the glove box are the last to branch off it...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to follow up what I found. What I found was that I DO NOT have a light at the cig lighter and that the wire I THOUGHT was the light wire WAS the main cig. lighter wire I was looking for in the first place, my bad.

Guy

·
Registered
768 Posts
the cigarette lighter wire will also have a small brown T-style clip that clips into the round hole on top of the cigarette lighter housing. the connector is approx. 3/4" long, tubular and brown. the glove box light wire is also orange and exits the main harness in the same place the lighter wire does. the glove box light wire should be wrapped with tape for another 6-8 inches. it has a spade connector that mounts into the special black plastic fitting that fits into the round hole in the glove box upper left corner.

69 camaros only used fiber optic to light the ashtray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts