Something similar happened to a friend of mine.If I may suggest....
Last year at Hotchkis Track Day Craig Boone and I were standing at front of my car early in the morning discussing the fun we were going to have. We both smelled this funny electrical burning smell at the same time. The interior of my car was filled with smoke.
The smoke was coming from the cigar lighter. I pulled the smoldering element out (burned fingers) and shoved my arm under the dash to pull the wire (scars on forearm). What caused it? I must have touched the element when turning off the ignition and caused it to engage. The last time I used the lighter (in 1999, when the car was restored) it did function properly, but how often do I use the lighter? Never. I was lucky to be standing next to the car since this could have happened anywhere.
The new element has the guts removed so it's non-functional. The lighter can still be used to power cell phones, etc. but now there's no chance of the element catching on fire.
Food for thought.