Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Rochester type Lighter for my dash (68) only to find out the receptacle is not correct for the lighter. The original are no longer available. Is there a functional replacement?

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
I replaced my lighter socket in the '69 with an off the shelf pep boys or kragan $5 replacement. The stock lighter doesn't fit (larger diameter than the socket) but I don't smoke and have a rubber no smoking plug in the socket when I'm not using it to power my cell or portable cd player. I figured if I wanted to use it as a lighter instead of a power supply I'd use a repro lighter knob and graft it to the lighter that fits the replacement socket.

I always thought it odd they repro'd a lighter but not the socket... By the way is a push-in lighter called a "rochester"? I have never heard it called that before.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand why they don't make the receptacle. I can find $4 replacement lighters at Auto parts stores but not receptacles. Go figure. I have seen the lighters refered to as Rochester. I think it's the manufacturer.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Jacket - I can get the receptacles at almost any parts store here. Try the Kragan "Help" rack. They won't take a real Camaro lighter but they will take the ones you can get...

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can find $4 replacement lighters at Auto parts stores but not receptacles.
I meant to say the "Rochester" style lighters are available at auto parts stores, but not the receptacles.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lower half in the pic is what I need. No Pep Boys in our area. I'll try the Nova site in the morning. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts