Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been working on an electrical problem with the guys over in the electrical forum. I've been trying to pin point a drain on my battery. My question to y'all is:

Should I be able to put my power top up & down with the ignition off? Because I can. I'm wondering if maybe the circuit breaker on the firewall has gone bad. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
The top will go up and down with the power off, but it is a major drain on the battery.
Tony,
I know that its a drain on the battery when the vehicle is not running however that isn't the question :) What he is asking is that with the key off and in his hand should he have power to the power top switch allowing the top to go up and down ?

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Thanks guys...
I just needed to be sure because its been a long time since I have or drove a 60s convertable. I remember some worked off the ignition and some of them didn't. Trying to track down a voltage drain....

Kev

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Put a amp meter between the pos battery cable and battery, pull one fuse at a time until draw goes to zero. That will id the circuit that causing the draw on battery.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Gene...
Thanks, he has already done that and its down to the horn relay and power top relay. Read thread at http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102348

Kev
So move the amp meter between the horn relay and the top breaker and see if its the cause. I would think the breaker is okay and its something in the power top circuit , ( ie; top switch, especially a repo switch). If that checks out okay, then move the meter to horn relay to the power window circuit.
Also if you have multiple threads on the same problem, makes it hard to know what has been tried :D ....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
bad diodes in the alternator maybe...........disconnect the alt and see if your drain goes away........

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bad diodes in the alternator maybe...........disconnect the alt and see if your drain goes away........
I already know its not the alternator. I did that test. When I hook up the test light up between the negative post & the neg. cable; the test light goes out when I disconnect the wire that goes from the breaker (on the firewall) to the horn relay. I'm going to trouble shoot it some more this weekend. It has to have something to do with the power top or windows since they share some of the same circuitry. I am just hoping sooo much its not the power window relay. I HATE to have to pull the kick panel to get to that thing. :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a good idea. I'm going try that later today. It's 7:30am here. I just got up & haven't had my morning coffee yet. :) I hope its one of those two things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts