Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am right in the middle of my classic auto air install on a factory air 69 camaro. So far the directions and figment have been great but the supplies template just does not seem right. When I line up the template as indicated the hole for the drain ends up overlapping with the bottom right corner of the factory rectangular opening which does not seem right. Looking at the pictures it should be about an inch away. The template fits perfect where they say to stick it just that drain hole seems off. Also they tell you to drill from the inside but the template is stuck to the firewall so you can't see where to drill.

Has anyone installed this system? Did you have a similar problem? What did you do? I don't want tog drilling extra holes that I don't need...

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

I had hoped for a reply by now but if everyone has had the same problem I have then I think there is no solution unless CAA simply sent me the wrong parts?

After taking some measurements of the Unit compared to the template and then also comparing with the pre drilled firewall blockoff plate that was sent I am convinced that either they sent me the wrong parts or that the quality of this kit is seriously lacking. I really hope it's wrong parts based on the cost of this kit.

Here is a couple photos that demonstrate the issues. Notice the template drain hole location vs the actual location in the first photo and then their blockoff plate and the miss alignment with the template in photo 2.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Minor update...

1. When you get the template from CAA measure the black box. It is crucial that it is exactly 1" not 15/16th's. I assumed that since they provided the template it would be correct...
2. Even with the proper template it looks like the block off plate that they sent has been drilled wrong. I took several measurements and they do not line up so this prevented me from making my own template.

Anyway I called the guys at CAA and they were super cool. They are sending me out a new template that is verified correct as well as a confirmed block off plate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good luck with the revised template from CA . I had the exact same issue plus the cheap fire wall fire wall cover extended past the fire wall area into the tunnel area. They sent me three different template (ones with almost the inch sq and 2 without) could never get the holes to match up. I couldn't figure out why they kept mailing me a template where the 1 inch box reference was not a true 1 inch square. Based on this fitment issue with the template plus the number of new large holes that had to be drilled in my firewall (mine was an AC original) I sent the unit back and purchased a vintage Air system. I liked the electrical connection for the CA unit but did not like the issues I was having with the fire wall.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Agitator, thanks for the reply. Well crap I have already put together the Dash and all the wiring so I really hope the template and new Blockoff plate they sent me is correct. I like everything about the unit so I think if they send me another shotty plate I will just install the unit my own way and fab a plate myself, it is just a piece of plastic after all...

How do you like the vintage air kit? My brother in law did one in his suburban and hated the entire process and is not happy with the performance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well again good luck with what they send you. I was just very disappointing everytime I got the "fix" from them that turned out to be the same stuff I already had. The VA install went very smoothly I am routing the heater and AC hoses through the old blower motor hole which is working out great. Really didn't like where the heater hoses came out from the CA unit as it is in the same area as the original system and close to the Valve covers. VA communicated with March performance so that I could use March's compressor for my front pulley system. So overall very pleased. Hope you will be too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts