Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone recommend a good insurance company for my 78? i am using Geico and i like the service, but they will not give me full coverage because the car is too old. anyone out there with a suggestion? a good price is important too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have both my classics insured through company called Hagerty Classic Insurance out of Traverse, Michigan (1-800-922-4050 or website @ www.hagerty.com) The deal is that this company only insures classic cars as I understand and "it" must be considered a classic and you must not use it as an everyday back and forth to work car (proof of insurance on work car required). But if it is a classic car and you have another work car the deal is great.

You declare a value and submit 3 pictures of your car along with an application. If they accept the application they will insure your car year round with no real restrictions on mileage like other insurance companies. They expect you will be using the car for shows, cruizes, parades and special events but you can load up the miles on the car participating in these events and are still covered. They advertise in our local Cruize magazine as a $10,000.00 declared value car as $115.00 cost anually. Also if you have more than one car the amount does not go up appreciably because they realize you can only drive one at a time. I have a 67 SS396 Chevelle and a 68 RSZ/28 insured for around 250.00 anually. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 07-03-99).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use Condon & Skelly. They charge about $7 pey year for each 1000 added coverage after a base amount. Never had a claim so I can't comment on service

------------------
1970 unmodified
THM350
F41

·
Registered
407 Posts
A while ago, Pru dropped all classic car and insurance and so I was out looking. While I was at it, I did a little research for an article in our club newsletter. I found that there are basically two types of insurance for classic cars. The first is very affordable but allows very limited use of the car, i.e. drive it to a car show or drive it to your club meeting. And usually it must be in a locked or secure area at all times. This would come from providers like Hagarty. The second type allows for full use of the vehicle but is much more costly. As I like to drive my car to play golf, to weddings, to anniversaries, etc. So the first type of insurance was not acceptable. I started with full insurance from All State. Great service and coverage, but on a $40,000 car, the premium was about $1,200 per year. I continued to search and came across an alternative that fell somewhere in between. I now use Parish Insurance (800)274-1804 in Burns, TN. David Parish is a true car buff and has designed a policy for those of us who like to use our cars. I still have $40,000 coverage, but the premium is about half of All State. The only restriction is you don't drive the car more than 2,500 miles in a year.
For more names of insurance companies, try the "services" section of any month of Hemmings Motor News. You will find a bunch of companies. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure how old you are 78, but most Classic Car Insurance companies require you to be at least 25-30 yrs old, no acceptions. you may also want to check at local swap meets/car shows because, from my experience anyway, there is always a booth or two soliciting insurance for classic automobiles (hey, not a bad place to advertise!). Good luck!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle Member #298

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a '68 RS convt. and it is covered with State Farm under a classic car policy. I am 34 yrs. old and it costs me $33 every 6 months. Only restriction is driven less than 2500 miles a year. This is in Louisiana. Coverage is for up to $15,000

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have Hagerty and did it all over the phone with their 800 number. However, I must disagree with some comments above. They told me there was no mileage restriction although, of course, they don't expect me to drive 10,000 miles a year. They said they realize I bought my car to enjoy and therefore did not restrict any pleasure use. They required one photo ( which was of the car apart in my garage ), did not require the odometer reading and accepted my 355 ( I was too honest ) as a stock motor since a 350 was available that year ( 69 ). I pay $108 for $9500 coverage.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have good old State Farm. My 69' Camaro is insured for $20,000 and I can drive it all summer long. No questions asked. All I had to do is fill out a small form describing the car, then drive it by ma agent so they could snap a few pictures. Done, all for the low low price of $279 every 6 months.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I agree with RickD. I have Hagerty and there is no mileage restriction. However, you must have another insured vehicle (not required to be insured by Hagarty) that is your primary everyday driver. Los Angeles is a bit more expensive than most: $242 for $15K and my Agreed Value is too low.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
Did you state the value or did they apraise and set it at 20k Shawn?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn:
I have good old State Farm. My 69' Camaro is insured for $20,000 and I can drive it all summer long. No questions asked. All I had to do is fill out a small form describing the car, then drive it by ma agent so they could snap a few pictures. Done, all for the low low price of $279 every 6 months.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I insure my 69 Z/28 through Allstate, along with my house, 2 other trucks, and my Ninja. I don't have a milage restriction, and I pay for the amount that I specified the car to be worth - $20,000. With all the discounts for multiple policies, I pay $444 a year. That's with a $100 deductible and 300/100/50 policy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am suprised Geico would not insure your car. i have Geico and have full coverage for my 68. i have a honda civic as my daily driver and when i added the camaro last summer my premium only went up about $20 a month. is the 78 your daily driver? Geico also has a division that handles only fully restored classic SHOW cars. it has to be stored in a locked garage and only driven to and from shows, though. so its useless if you really drive it.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
BTW - The value of my car was determined by me. I was told I can raise it as I invest more and/or it appreciates. Of course, the insurance cost would go up as a function of the rate per $100. And yes, they wanted to know that it was in a locked garage and that I had other daily drivers. I had to include a copy of the declaration page from my regular policy. But, I get ( with no deductible ) collison, fire, theft, vadalism.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone had experience with a claim from a classic insurance company? I'm also curious about whether the company contested the declared value of the vehicle in any way (for those policies where there is no agreed value).

·
Registered
217 Posts
DJD-

They used a combination of what I wanted for coverage, Book value on the car, and the agent's own judgment. We agreed that $20K was a reasonable number. Not all that scientific, but it covers my investment. It helps me sleep knowing that god forbid some out of control, soccer mommy in FU&$%ing Ford Excursion run over my baby, I'm covered..

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shawn, and all,
Glad to see this thread. I just bought a 68 conv. 3 wks ago. I called my State Farm agent to see what I needed to get replacement coverage. He told me I need to get a written appraisal. I didn't know anyone, so I called A 1 A in the yellow pages. The guy ask a few questions, is supposed to get back to me. His fee $225!!! I haven't done anything yet, but that sure seems high to establish value of a classic. Anybody have an opinion or comment?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I have State Farm on my 68 conv RS. When I got it I insured it for what I paid for it and I had to give them a couple of pictures. I'm allowed 7500 miles a year. They assured me it is insured for full replacement. Hope I never have to find out

·
Registered
407 Posts
H-DOG That sounds way too high for an appraisal. Try a Camaro parts/wrecking yard near you or a dealer who sells older cars or the National Camaro Club even. It seems like $50 would be about right and some of the clubs may do it for free.

Shawn - easy on the soccer mommies, Buddy. Are you talking about the women on the cell phone with a Starbucks in the other hand running 20 minutes late with six kids in the back fighting over who gets the last five Skittles? Ah, that sounds like my wife. Lol. At least she knows to go easy around the "classic" cars!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Winch, I wouldn't believe anything the insurance company tells you unless you see it in writing. Waiting until an accident happens is way too late. You will just wind up getting screwed if you are in an accident with an uninsured or that is your fault.

My Camaro has "standard" insurance coverage and USAA tells me that it is insured for "book value", but they cannot tell me what that means or how much it is. They couldn't even tell me the source for determining "book value". To give them credit, I have always been treated fairly when we have had claims on our other cars. I just don't want to find out after the fact that they think my Camaro is only worth $5,000. After the paint job is finished this summer, I will be switching to one of the classic car insurance companies.

Also, if you have "standard" coverage, make sure your agent has pictures of your car. I have heard of insurance companies refusing to replace aftermarket wheels because they weren't stock. Their logic is that if you modified the car and increased its value, they should be aware of the additional risk they bear. I don't disagree with them on this point. The agent having pictures is notice to the company that your car has been modified.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 06-02-2000).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts