Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an aluminum intake that I would like to clean up, what is the best approach to get it looking like new? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Bead/glass blasting, I forget the grit but it can be made to look like new you just need the right material/pressure so you are cleaning the soft metal and not creating new pits.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember reading that Sea Foam works, anyone tried this?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I used etching mag cleaner, then painted with "cast aluminum" color paint. It was ugly with gas stains, etc. and turned out great.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Nope. Cleaned it, let it dry, sprayed it with multiple light coats and reinstalled it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I blasted my holley street dominator intake,then put on 3 to 4 wet coats of De-bears H.S 2k clear....I do it on alot of aluminium parts for customers,Looks great and lasts.Its also petrol resistant and the heat doesn' bother it......X2 on the heater hoses
Gav

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I used mothers chrome/wire cleaner to clean my cast aluminum Edelbrock manifold. Edelbrock actually recommended it. My intake was fairly new, but a leaky water pump caused coolant to cover my intake forming rust spots everywhere. The chrome/wire wheel cleaner removed it all and left my manifold looking new again. Make sure you don't let the product come in contact with polished aluminum though.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I don't know if this is revelant or not, but....I work for the Coast Guard and they have recently banned the use of Simple Green on all of their aluminum hulled boats. Research has shown SG is detrimential to aluminum. Just passing on the information.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't heard of Easy-Off for aluminum intakes, will have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Seems to me that Easy off will turn the aluminum black. Just a hunch. let us know how it works out.

I generally aluminum oxide the part first then follow up with a glass bead for a very nice end product.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
why would we tell you to use something that would turn it black.
that would be dumb, wouldn't it??
I did not say that it cleans it well and then turns it black!
If it cleaned it well and turned it black, would that still be well??
Well, I guess it would be if you wanted it to turn black and it actually turned it black.
But, that would not be well for the people that did not want it to turn black.
Does anyone want their aluminum intake manifold to turn black?
If you do, then don't use easy off.

?????????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm glad that I am not the only one that can see that a caustic will cause a non ferrous material (Aluminum) to discolor and depending on the strength towards a black color. Not sure where Dale is coming from here as I am merely making a statement that a caustic cleaner will attack aluminum and it may not have the desired effect. Fortunately I don't have to rely on those methods as the blasting will produce the best result.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts