Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 14" aftermarket aluminum rims that I want to clean up and sell. They have darkened some, not polished, and have crevices between the spokes that I need some way to clean. I have heard of some kind of foam cleaner that is supposed to work good but I don't know the name. I also have a sand blaster that I could use but I am wondering if the silica would ruin the rim finish. Anyone have any ideas on cleaning these up?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Good old fashion mothers mag cleaner..rub rub rub......try a toothbrush..

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,784 Posts
A buddy of mine used a Flitz-it kit on some oxidized weld wheels.... turned out better than new :yes:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your opinion on using that oven cleaner stuff in a spray can? Would it damage magnesium or aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
What is your opinion on using that oven cleaner stuff in a spray can? Would it damage magnesium or aluminum wheels?
Oven cleaner usually contains lye. Lye etches or eats aluminum, depending on how strong it is. Try it on the back side first and have a hose close in case the wheels start to turn black.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am glad I asked about that! Oven cleaner is out, wheel cleaner is in. Thanks for the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts