Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deb gave me this nice Sony CD deck for Christmas two years ago. It's been in the car but unfortunatly, it was installed while there was work going on.

The deck won't track a CD at all any longer. I assume this is becuase of all the crap that was flying around in the car and the tracking mirror is filthy.

I stopped by Tweeter yesterday day to have it sent out for a cleaning. I decided not to when they said a cleaning was $155.00, minimum!!! (Could be more.) That represents almost half the cost of the CD deck.

Does anyone know of a reasonable service for cleaning head units? Local or internet/ship it out based?

Or, any advice on doing it myself?

Before I spend a buck 55 *minimum* on a repair, I'll buy a new Apline and just replace the Sony.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There are soem lens cleaner kits out there ... Even Radio Shack and Walmart will carry them and, certainly, some the stereo store. This may work. Also, you can try the compressed air kits like you would use for photograhy equipment. And, CRC makes a QD Electronic Cleaner ( make sure it is the can that says quick drying .. protects sensitive electronic equipment ) that you might try if you have the deck outof the car and you want to take the top/lid off ... This spray leaves no residue ... These are some inexpensive options you can try prior to spending big bucks on new unit or repair of existing unit ...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try the QD Electronic Cleaner - thanks.

I guess I have nothing to lose and everyting to save.

Rick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts