Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a full set of black seat belts. The buckles are in good shape but the nylon is pretty dirty. They look like they'll clean up nicely, though. I was thinking that warm, sudsy water might do the trick. Or even putting them in a washing machine on a very gentle cycle might loosen up the dirt. Will this damage the nylon or cause it to loose its shape? Also, can the buckles be removed without any professional tools? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW: you guys have been an INCREDIBLE help to both me and my mechanic/restorer with my '68 Camaro Convertible project car -- thanks a million!).

= Roberta =

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I don't think you can pull the buckles off without taking them apart or cutting the belts. I have washed my belts in the past in warm water with laundry detergent. I moved the buckles to one end and washed the other end, then moved the buckles to the washed side and washed the unclean side. I let them soak for an hour ors and then rinsed them off real good.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
You can disassemble the whole buckle, start by removing the black plastic cover by carefuly prying from the sides (watch out for a flying spring), then remove the belt from the metal roller thats used for adjustment. Just make sure you place the belt in the buckle the same way it came out because if not they aren't gonna make the holding. The retractor belt can also be removed but this one is a bit difficult to re-assemble. It's tricky when you have to instal it so it can retract again. Also, to relocate the retractor unit inside the plastic cover, I had to use a wire to pull it back again, not a pleasant task.
>>>Good Luck<<<

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I put mine in the washing machine, they came out looking fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts