Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ...

I've got my column apart and getting ready to install my new Grant Steering Wheel ...

While I have everything out, I'd like to clean up the Cancel Cam & Signal/Hazard Switch Contacts ...

What do you all recommend to use to do the task? Rubbing Alcohol, etc...???

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting ... I never knew this ... I had to google this to make sure you weren't joking :) :) :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for the gunk and buildup over the years ...

Is brake cleaner and/or rubbing alcohol safe for the contacts ...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
the eraser works to get the black carbony stuff off the contacts, and it is not abrasive.

If you got greasy gunk that solvent will disolve, alcohol would work, so would paint thinner, no brake cleaner if there is plastic nearby tho.

If things are actually rusty or corroded, you can use some 400 grit sandpaper. Note that brass and copper contacts are solid, you can't hurt them by sanding. Steel contacts are usually tin plated. Any sanding will take the tin off... you won't get as good a connection, and it will corrode again faster, but... if it's that nasty, the tin is gone anyway. Best to replace, but if you can't, some sanding will make them behave for a pretty good while.

As far as feeling the need to check me on google, Tim... well I'd never lie to you, and if I made a mistake, the guys would call me out on it in 2 heartbeats.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts